Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Scope got moisture in it

Just ask the shop 99% of the time its a easy get it fixed or swap it out answer .

Your first port of call should be the retailer. If they don't want to deal with it nicely (they should), then it's up to you how much time and effort you spend on fighting them for it.

Rain shouldn't affect a scope at all. It will be failed seals somewhere, either ocular bell or turrets if I had to guess.

Scopes aren't voodoo. They can be dismantled at home on an immaculately clean table.
    I wouldn't advise this with a Luepold or anything more than $600, or still under warranty, but It can be done.

honestly for that money go get a leupold vx freedom.
    i got one awhile back and its a great scope and the leupold backup service is 2nd to none

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    Your first port of call should be the retailer. If they don't want to deal with it nicely (they should), then it's up to you how much time and effort you spend on fighting them for it.

Rain shouldn't affect a scope at all. It will be failed seals somewhere, either ocular bell or turrets if I had to guess.

Scopes aren't voodoo. They can be dismantled at home on an immaculately clean table.
    I wouldn't advise this with a Luepold or anything more than $600, or still under warranty, but It can be done.
    how are you going to purge it of air air dry nitrogen fill it?
    tetawa and csmiffy like this.

'fart'
    rugerman and dannyb like this.

The "fit for purpose" under the act is generally associated with the cost of the item and how long you should reasonably expect that product to last. It is well worth arguing that 10 months is not a good enough life for a $349 scope. It should not have fogged up and is not fit for purpose... Also the manufacturer may have a warranty period stated on their website or through the distributor if you have a look.

Read the Act and talk to them (nicely) but make them aware you know your rights, cite the relevant section of the Act (PM me if you need help finding it). They will offer to repair or replace it, pretty sure you have the right to choose replacement or refund (as the failure of the product is significant in nature, but that is a whole other question and I'd need to do some reading to be sure).
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

1. You won't be able to fix it ( neither will the shop)

2. Fogging used to be quite common in the last century. Not so much now. So this is not a normal quality item even if a cheap model. Typically scopes will last for years and decades of hard use knocks and wetness. One or two years is still a new scope.

3. GC waikato will be trying to redeem their reputation for unsatisfactory scope sales and will most likely sort it out for you. As suggested, if you dont have a receipt then take the whole rifle in and they will be able to verify it out of their records. There are good guys working there.
    Micky Duck likes this.

SiB
    I can hear you thinking it was ten months ago and you don’t want to make a fuss. None of us do, really

As the guys have said, rock up with the scope, plus rifle (EMTPY BREECH) or at least its serial number and simply have a conversation beginning “hey this has happened, how can you guys help us about it?” .... it’s not a biggie, and seeing it objectively as a problem solving exercise, not as a complaint always helps

If it gets to the point where it’s agreed it can’t be repaired/remedied, then going up another $200 on the scope for a next-tier $ will be very worthwhile. I appreciate budget might be a concern.

If the rifle was purchased with a medium to long term use envisaged, improving the optics will significantly improve the whole package for reliability and versatility
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    how are you going to purge it of air air dry nitrogen fill it?
    Care to guess how long N2 lasts in a scope?

Should go back to retailer before coming an "item" on here.

If the scope was advertised as "waterproof and fogproof" (which for that money I guess it would have been) take it back. It should be replaced.
    Husky1600 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.