Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Stashing gear in the bush

I've got two main camps that I leave two 50cal ammo tins so the rats don't get in, stashed in the bush with food, fuel, dog biscuits, dunny paper and spare AA battery's. Not heaps of gear but enough for extended unexpended trips and any supply's I have spare at end of trip stash them up in the tins for next time.
    gadgetman likes this.

Can see the sense in a spare gas bottle, food and little things as @tikka has mentioned leaving some things behind, doesn't matter to much if someone steals it

After you've buried the stash again I always leave a few pieces of toilet paper around the disturbed soil......puts most people off digging I'd suspect

I used to leave gear in the Tararuas sealed in solid buckets with the push on lids, works great, as others said just hide it really well or bury it.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

It's pretty much littering. Go to any likely spot in the Ni, have a wee look round and you'll find at least three buckets like you guys are suggesting... Most of them are buggered beyond use and are just making a mess... It's gross.
    If you do go ahead with it make sure you tidy up afterwards please.
    craigc, crewe2, Gibo and 6 others like this.

How hard is it to hide a 20L bucket in a few thousand hectares of bush !
    freelancer likes this.

Cheers guys. I'll buy some buckets and a cheaper sleeping bag and some damp rid to protect my gear.
    I'm hoping that I can get to the point that all I need to take is my food and hunting gear, so I can stalk my way in and have plenty of pack space for meat on my return.
    I will be a tidy kiwi, no leaving US crap in the bush. It's pretty disgusting some of the mess left around Hawke's Bay huts in the Kawekas.
    I took a trip into Back Ridge Biv late last year. Ended up carrying 2 grocery bags of beer cans out that were chucked into the surrounding bush.

You just jogged my memory. A mate and I buried stuff near Makino hut about 25 years ago. Had completely forgotten about it. Its in an orange pack liner buried in the roots of a rotten tree about 100 yards nor-east of the hut.

It seems I'm a bush litterer from way back.
    P38, Blaser, nor-west and 1 others like this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hide and GPS what ever you leave/bury. I had a good set up in the Ruahines and it all got stolen. Was hidden under a log for several years, and then vanished. I was left with minimal gear for a night and several hours from the road end.
    And tell someone you trust "Exactly" where it is.

My old man has had two 50L sealable plastic drums burned in the Ruahine for a decade or two now

One contains a his feather down sleeping bag, a couple of flys and a bivvy bag.

The other contains cooking gear, gas canisters and food (canned and dehydrated).

He told me the general vicinity of where they are but never told or showed me Exactly where they are.

I'm confident I'm looking within a few hundred meters square of the location.

Dad passed away 5 years ago and as yet I still haven't located his stashed gear.

I'm sure the gear will be in good condition when eventually found.

Cheers
    Pete
    7mmsaum, stuart, DanS and 1 others like this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiazonic View Post
    Hey, I need your ideas about storing/stashing gear in the bush.
    I would like to leave a sleeping bag, hut clothing and a tent in the bush so I don't need to haul it in every trip.

What are your tricks to keeping the gear dry?

I hunt in a far far away bush and stay in a hut that takes a good 8 hour walk from the road side.
    Man has been there and done that, don't be a fool!

https://youtu.be/I2cPBl6scJk

https://youtu.be/kpGuv6DTAKk

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hide and GPS what ever you leave/bury. I had a good set up in the Ruahines and it all got stolen. Was hidden under a log for several years, and then vanished. I was left with minimal gear for a night and several hours from the road end.
    I buried a cooker, 5 or so litres of fuel, shit paper etc to save carrying that in the seven and a half km walk each time. Some MoFo found it and that was the end of that!

I found some other guy's stash once and, without even looking in the contents, left it well alone! What goes around doesn't come around, that's for sure!

I have a nice little set up in the bush. Bout 3 hours in. Haven't bothered to hide any stuff, got 3 20 l buckets with food and other stuff. All sitting in plain view under the shelter. If someone decides to steal it, I'll have to reevaluate how I do things. Until then I'll keep things as they are.
    You never know, someone may stumble across my camp one night and it may help save their life having some gear to make a feed and get a fire going.
    nor-west, Steve123, Feebz and 1 others like this.

We unfortunately know of a situation where this was a case, and the stashed gear that was found (being a simple tarpaulin, some firewood and axe), and when the group was rescued the tarpaulin was folded back up and it and the axe was left where they were found plus most of the firewood was left (as using the axe new stuff had been gathered).
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    It's pretty much littering. Go to any likely spot in the Ni, have a wee look round and you'll find at least three buckets like you guys are suggesting... Most of them are buggered beyond use and are just making a mess... It's gross.
    If you do go ahead with it make sure you tidy up afterwards please.

I was going to say something similar. Just carry your stuff in and out!

I'm going to pile up and burn the next pile of crap I find in the Ruahines...

I supposed a well hidden and tidy bucket isn't the end of the world.

hide your gear well. then set up another drum with some dummy gear thats just worthy of stealing and taking home. if you like you can add to the brew a splash of measles and/or small pox, but be sure to insert a gps tracker so you can return the favour.

the other option is to bury a drum with just the lid exposed, have a name written on it, including a message along the lines of "not lost, please do not disturb" then install a spring loaded boxing glove in the drum. hopefully if it is opened they can walk back to their stolen car with a broken nose.
    Ha.
    Tommy likes this.
    Use enough gun