Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Stihl Chainsaw

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @No.3 had a look at few saws today but waiting to see what comes up with field day deals next month. Still like the ms261 with the 18" bar
    look at the
    ms261 16" 50.2cc 2.9kw $1585 5.2kg they will change bar to 18" no cost
    ms291 18" 55.5cc 2,8kw $1375 5.6kg
    ms391 20" 64.1cc 3.3kw $1585 6.2kg

Every so often, Stihl offer free accessories, 50% off on safety gear, 10% off or even 15% off
    but the biggest discount online I've seen is on boxing day (20%).

Most discounts do not apply to professional chainsaws e.g. MS500i
    Micky Duck, bigbear and No.3 like this.

Well off track a little but illpost anyhow .I m a chainsaw freak luv older ones aad tinkering with em-2x homelite XL12s one of which i rebuilt and used for some time -bloody awesome with 20"bar. theyre sitting in the restoration bay now-last week looked up a classic c.saw supplier in Nz homlitew =$250.oo per unit. anyhow ive a chinese clone (the shangahi sawdust shagger and a homellite -no2with 18"bar plus a couple owee old echoes for vasectomies brains surgery and shaving mickey duck.!all mine wear .325 chains currently although the old homelite has seen a 404chain sometimes,,bars range fron 12"-20"
    anyhow a very good mate a wee while ago approached me with a couple of saws hed been given from a deceased estate cleanup -an old McCulloch and a johnsered 2040.The latter struck an accord with me and It got my 100%TLC plus the tuning finesse of a kind neighbours mate.
    Well today it redebuted in dogs and my hands and im happier than a dog with two dicks.It nailed some 18"logs like a great white who hadnt been fed for a month .only problem was when i reinstalled the bar&chain chain was slightly over tightened but that toook 5-10min or so to sort,.
    all my collection runeither 50;1 (as does me outboard or 25;1 and they run OK.

GSPFhas a wee stihl and its a grunty wee outfit- "old buggers" on his 3rd chain IIRC. chainsaw work like shooting great exercise and ya only need one uniform irridescent orange PPE. and users dont grunt flex their pecs or show odff werdding tackle.imagine in the gymn "ah fuck Ive struck another bloody stone" ah piece of shit is jammed in the cut!!!!!

PS when are the police opening their chainsaw register -just asking like?????
    Last edited by kotuku; 26-05-2023 at 08:39 PM.
    No.3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    that makes the 291 look pretty darn attractive.....
    Yeah, 291 and 261 take the same size chain/bar as specc'd from the factory (.325 chain) where the 391 is the larger 3/8 'low pro' pitch chain. 261 is a 'pro' model - the cylinder is bolted down to the crank case making the saw easily serviceable where the other two are 'clamshell' designs which makes them more expensive to service. The 261 is likely to be the tougher of the three saws, in operation they will all be similar but likely the other two will be a little more finicky with chain tensioning and those bits.
    bigbear likes this.

I trialed a couple of pre production 261's back in 2010 I think. They were an impressive little saw at the time, I liked the new air filter system that was a rip off of the after market hi-flow system from the states. The work I do can be hard on chains so .325" isnt optimal but about right for a wee saw like the 261.

I think it would struggle with an 18" bar but it depends wether you are in a hurry or not.

We ran 391's for years, they were the saw we had on the woodchipper to deal with branches to big to feed. If you are looking at a saw in that size I would go for a MS400 instead. If the 391 is a carbed model you can hot it up pretty easily.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by Snap 4T View Post
    Every so often, Stihl offer free accessories, 50% off on safety gear, 10% off or even 15% off
    but the biggest discount online I've seen is on boxing day (20%).

Most discounts do not apply to professional chainsaws e.g. MS500i
    Petty Stihl don't do a anti spill fuel/oil combo can

Husqy's one is quite good. The pain in the bum with them is having to clean them out once they get full of sawdust and crap - I have no idea how the crap gets in them as I was fastidious when I was using my one but it irked the hell out of me knowing I was putting chip and crap into my saw's oil tank. I use a 5L bar oil bottle now with the pull out soft plastic spout and check it out each time I fill it up until it's got crap in it then get another bottle.

Never seen or used a 400 saw - well outside of a showroom shelf anyway. My preference is the carb models just because I don't have the gear to talk to them. Waiting for someone to bring out a bluetooth dongle and a $10 android app haha.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    MS400

Its a great saw that punches well above its weight.
    I am going to buy one . Putting a 16in bar on it. Bought a 2nd hand 250MS. Great little saw. No end of trouble now with my 562. Yet the 540 is an amazing saw. Gotta move with the times.

I've got a MS291, very happy with it for my occasional uses, (mostly firewood) and the odd tree that get too big.

I've gone the other way running a ms180 nice and light for trimming etc and a 500i for ringing.

Ok you saw guys I have a Husqvarna 340 that I'm thinking of sell any idea what it's worth had very little use when I brought it I thought I was getting a lot smaller saw, so I've brought a smaller one.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    Ok you saw guys I have a Husqvarna 340 that I'm thinking of sell any idea what it's worth had very little use when I brought it I thought I was getting a lot smaller saw, so I've brought a smaller one.

You could put a smaller bar on it
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    You could put a smaller bar on it
    I could but I've brought a Stihl pruning style saw so no need for it now.

Caretaker
    How much do you want for it
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    How much do you want for it
    Unsure really would would know better than me not after top dollar just a fair price.
    Make me an offer