Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Stoney Creek Nitz

Stoney Creek Nitz

Stoney Creek in the past have made all sorts of claims in their marketing that I’ve found has never really reached the heights that they’ve set themselves.
    They claim their new Nitz range of rain gear has a baked in DWR that will never need to be reapplied.
    Does anyone have a Nitz rain jacket and what’s it really like?
    I tried one on and like the way it packs down, it also appears to have a long enough tail for sitting on wet ground and glassing.
    I’d say 90% of the time I wear my rain jacket is as a wind barrier, but when I wear it in the rain I expect it to stay dry, I’m less than impressed with the latest Swazi offering. Very heavy and isn’t very water proof. Maybe it needs recoating with DWR.

M8 I use a desolve jacket, same parent company, made samefactory , fairly impressed this far, haven't had it in z monsoon situation yet , but keeping me dry in average rain

MB
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ndation-98729/

If I wanted a serious, breathable waterproof, I would look at the jacket recommended by Ryan_Songhurst and BRADS. I'm guessing they know what they are talking about.
    shift14, Grantn and yeah_na_missed like this.

Out of interest what Swazi jacket are you using?

I have the latest Tahr and love it, streets ahead of the last version which the outer "fuzz" used to absorb a fair bit of water...

Two best jackets I have tried are the Cactus, and Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia, I have reproofed my Hydrophobia once but that was more maintenance than fixing a problem. The Hydrophobia is much lighter and packs down way more than the Cactus jacket but the Cactus is Bombproof
    buell984, Micky Duck and RV1 like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    M8 I use a desolve jacket, same parent company, made samefactory , fairly impressed this far, haven't had it in z monsoon situation yet , but keeping me dry in average rain
    Oh. I thought Desolve was associated with Hunters Element. .

You would hope the Cactus jacket was %110 percent water proof and bomb proof for $800
    I have read good things about them but yeah $800

Am with you on this one @craigc I’d say 90% of the time I wear my rain jacket is as a wind barrier, but when I wear it in the rain I expect it to stay dry.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    You would hope the Cactus jacket was %110 percent water proof and bomb proof for $800

Am with you on this one @craigc I’d say 90% of the time I wear my rain jacket is as a wind barrier, but when I wear it in the rain I expect it to stay dry.
    It's pretty easy to spend $3-400 ($550 in the case of the Stoney Creek Nitz) on hunting brand crap that will last a fraction of the time and perform poorly though. I'm not a rich man by any means (and my cactus jacket was actually given to me) but I've long since given up spending hard earned dollars on all the hunting brand complete crap that is on the market. A general rule of thumb is if it's pushed by HnF then it's crap.
    Brian, Monk, buell984 and 8 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I wouldn't spend $550 on a stoney creek jacket and do agree on all the over priced hunting brand crap on the market
    mikee, Steve123 and TimC like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post

Money I've spent on jackets over the last 10 years.

Kathmandu $400 - not waterproof
    MacPac $300 - not waterproof

Various packable jackets, at least $250 - may have been waterproof, but couldn't tell as so sweaty!

Hunters Element Halo $170 - haven't used it in a proper downpour yet.

Buying that Cactus jacket would have saved me money if it's as good as these guys say!
    paremata and TimC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Oh. I thought Desolve was associated with Hunters Element. .
    Yep you're right Craig, Sharki is mistaken

My main hunting jackets for the last 20 years have been the Tahr anorak while they have been ok in the North Island i found the swazi tahr was a bit on the heavy side down south and hard to dry.
    My farm jackets for the last ten years have been Kaiwaka but to heavy for hunting in or physical work and a change of job in the farming world no longer chasing stock sitting on the motorbike i have been using a Stoney Creek creek crosser Jacket at work . Its light weight full zip up the front, elastic around the cuffs what i like to stop water running down your arm. I paid $150 on special for it but can only see me getting 2 years max for work out of if or hunting
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I have one of the Cactus rain jackets but I am pretty sure I only paid about $400 on sale - it was a few years back though. I hardly ever use it though I have got an ex-army MVP rain jacket that costs about $100, works just as well and packs down way smaller ...
    paremata and RV1 like this.

Have you considered the Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia?

It doesn't come in 'hunting' colours but far far superior product that they back 100%

I know it stuffs beathability..but the roof n gutter silicon thinned down in terps painted on to jacket that @Moa Hunter suggested some time back really works exceptionally well... even my cotton windbreaker bumfreezer coat is now rain proof.
    a cheap way to make the most of that expensive coat that just doesnt cut it, keeping rain out.
    MB and No good names left like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters