Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: That stoopid knife question

Come on you lot lol, who says that a fancy expensive knife is needed to slice up the veny for gods sake.
    Apart from spending unnecessary amounts of dollars your only filling up the pockets of the dude behind the counter at the end of the day.
    There are those who for some reason or another collect fancy knifes and unless that person tries out his collection on dead animals then they simply have a fetish lol. I'm not getting a dig into anyone in particular here but if anyone wants ti make excuses then that's fine lol.
    I may be slightly different than many...having just one shooter and one sharp knife and oh yea I have a smallish pocket knife for back up.
    Those three work hand in hand just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Come on you lot lol, who says that a fancy expensive knife is needed to slice up the veny for gods sake.
    Apart from spending unnecessary amounts of dollars your only filling up the pockets of the dude behind the counter at the end of the day.
    There are those who for some reason or another collect fancy knifes and unless that person tries out his collection on dead animals then they simply have a fetish lol. I'm not getting a dig into anyone in particular here but if anyone wants ti make excuses then that's fine lol.
    I may be slightly different than many...having just one shooter and one sharp knife and oh yea I have a smallish pocket knife for back up.
    You are right, of course, however I have two BR’s here that I’ll let go for cheap...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Meh. I like knives. So do a few others here it appears. It’s a primal thing I think.
    Still, I won’t buy a knife that does not fulfil a few basic requirements, with all of those revolving around being a functional tool.
    If it’s good looking, or has some other special trait it’s sweet as in my book and like most things in life quality has a price.
    $200 in a knife is a spit in the ocean compared to many other hunting expenses. Better than dropping all your tin on a stupid car, or down your neck at the boozer too.
    Danny and WillB like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

And yeah and mine's bigger than yours ha,ha.
    No one is saying that a "fancy expensive knife" is needed. And most would agree that a Mercator or Green River type can do the job quite adequately. In the past they did for me, no problem.

Its likely though that while I have probably used what you use hundreds of times, you have never used what I use now. Accordingly, this leaves me better placed than you to judge the merits of a decent knife and to have an opinion.
    nor-west, kiwijames, GWH and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    No one is saying that a "fancy expensive knife" is needed.

Its likely though that while I have probably used what you use hundreds of times, you have never used what I use now.
    Touchy, touchy now don't get your ol knickers in a twist. Some chaps like all the boys toys and some cant see any point what so ever.
    Funny but I somehow knew that you would come riding over the crest of the hill with knifes in hand lol.
    I would not want to use what you use now old chap,god only knows why you used that line but anyway all is good on the Western front.
    I might just take a short cut outa here with the one knife I have eh lol
    Danny likes this.

Touchy, touchy now don't get your ol knickers in a twist. Some chaps like all the boys toys and some cant see any point what so ever.
    Funny but I somehow knew that you would come riding over the crest of the hill with knifes in hand lol.
    I would not want to use what you use now old chap,god only knows why you used that line but anyway all is good on the Western front.
    I might just take a short cut outa here with the one knife I have eh lol
    It was tongue in cheek. And I don't wear knickers.
    WillB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    It was tongue in cheek. And I don't wear knickers.
    Going Commando these days?
    Tahr likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

This Guy is ok, small selection but shipping can be very reasonable,
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/Fixed-Blade...ssn=knifeguy78
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    So what's up with these Brous Blades knives
    $650-710.NZD
    Seems................. extravagant
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    So what's up with these Brous Blades knives
    $650-710.NZD
    Seems................. extravagant
    Was looking up Damascus the other day $600+ for a little boker folder

You have to watch your so called super steels, the heat treatment is more important than the steel, people have been using carbon steel for hundreds of years for a reason, if you look after it it won’t rust, it’s easier to sharpen, with its good carbide alignment it will get a finer edge than a stainless steel, and is far less likely to chip if you hit a bit of bone or stone.

Stainless is just that less, not immune, I have seen stainless rust just like any other, will carbon steel taint the meat? Rubbish, blood has iron in it, a lead bullet probability taints the meat more than a carbon knife...

So saying if you aren’t into maintaining your equipment then carbon steel, in NZ conditions, may not be the best option.
    Shelley

Plain carbon steels have been used for hundreds of years because the cpm process didn't exist. And the likes of 1095 and O1 are certainly adequate for hunting.

CPM 3v, 4v and Cru-wear are still carbon tool steels but they are made through a a compressed particle process. They are not necessarily hardened to a higher rc than traditional carbon steel, but they are more difficult to sharpen. The plus for the cpm steels (including stainless) is that the edge will last from twice to many times longer than O1 etc.

CPM stainless is very fine grained and will take an amazing edge. So too will the Bohler range of "N" stainless steels - Boker and Enzo use them. Enzo are excellent knives and good value except in D2 which I find to be a really chippy steel.

The stock Bark River steel is A2 which is not a cpm steel nor is it stainless, but it will outlast 1095/O1 2 fold and is no more difficult to sharpen. It will not rust like O1 etc, but it will blemish and stain - and rust if abused. You can use a fine sharpening steel on A2 (like we do with green river) to straighten the edge if you want but you wouldn't need to until after gutting and boning a whole deer. A couple of licks and you are ready for the next one.

I think that knife makers use O1 and 1095 because its easy to work with and to temper, not because its the "best" knife steel. They are good value though, and do the job. I have a Bark River in 1095 (it was a one off special run) and its a good knife, but not a patch on even A2.
    outdoorlad, Scouser and WillB like this.

Informative explanation Tahr on steels, thanks.

Yes thanks very much. I think that ultra light hunter looks brilliant and 3mm seems plenty thick enough to me. When blades get to 4mm is that a hunting thing or are trying to make it good for bushcrafting as well? The Mora at 2mm seems entirely adequate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Yes thanks very much. I think that ultra light hunter looks brilliant and 3mm seems plenty thick enough to me. When blades get to 4mm is that a hunting thing or are trying to make it good for bushcrafting as well? The Mora at 2mm seems entirely adequate to me.
    The ultra light hunter is very good and thin enough without being fragile. Knife makers make their knives thicker because they plan for the roughest users and abusers. Mine is a Ultra Light Hunter 11. The ULH1 version is probably a bit too short.

In the States they chop and hack wood and stuff all year round and hunt for a very short period, so the knives are inclined to reflect that in their thickness.

Cheers