Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 4 Post By Southerner223
  • 2 Post By Monk
  • 1 Post By Monk

Thread: Tahr Ballot Gear list

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA

Tahr Ballot Gear list

Picked up a Ballot Block in one of the later periods. Interested to see what guys who have been in take with them and what both the camp and hunt gear list is.

Which block did you draw?

Are you planning on having a "base" camp and day hunting/hunting late and going back to main camp, or are you back packing around?

Got the Lambert. Likely have a base camp and spike out from that on occasion. Will likely depend on the snow condition being period 9 in July...

Old man is coming as well so warm comfy camp will be a necessity

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paddygonebush View Post
    Got the Lambert. Likely have a base camp and spike out from that on occasion. Will likely depend on the snow condition being period 9 in July...

Old man is coming as well so warm comfy camp will be a necessity

I've had Lambert before, base camp is bloody freezing but it's a cool spot. We collected chunks of ice that had fallen from the glacier each day to have with our whiskeys haha. There's not much country to hunt other than straight up so it involves some big walks each day
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I've had Lambert before, base camp is bloody freezing but it's a cool spot. We collected chunks of ice that had fallen from the glacier each day to have with our whiskeys haha. There's not much country to hunt other than straight up so it involves some big walks each day
    I hear rumours of a rock biv up there. Know anything about it? Coords?

I hear rumours of a rock biv up there. Know anything about it? Coords?

Yea it's only just up the main valley a bit from the main base camp spot so not really much use although one of the boys sat in there during some shit weather glassing
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

@paddygonebush red dot by patch of scrub is where chopper will drop you and about the best/only place to make base camp, you'll see where camps have been set up amongst the scrub there. Green dot is where rock biv is, probably half an hour or so walk up from main camp. Blue arrow is main access to the headbasins above camp, it's hard going but not terrible, you can end up on some pretty steep snow faces and they can get a bit unstable when the sun hits them. Pink dots roughly where we saw bulls, dots on true left above camp were all crafty scrub bulls they take a bit of spotting but there was animals getting about in there. Not a tonne of accessible area to hunt and youll need to work for it but the stuff that is there is productive and we even had a few chamois playing about in the creek where the blue arrow is that we could watch from camp. Being later ballot I'd bank on there being heavy snow up high and bloody cold at camp! Take plenty of warm gear for sleeping and you'll be right.
    Name:  IMG-20230125-WA0002.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  151.7 KB
    10! has 270 divisors

Few things I learnt via doing a few of the blocks. Take the following, you possibly thought of but may not of

Blue tarps, even 3 or 4, try and pitch a couple up or even a side as such. Makes all the difference being able to fully stand up to take clothes on and off. Good to sit under at night having tea etc. If possible even try and pitch tents under one. Another water proof layer above helps, also keeps the freeze off the tents.

Plenty of rope, helpful for the above and general stuff around camp

I put all my gear thats not in my main bag (waterproof) in large click clack containers (30l ish from mitre 10) This includes all food, fry pan, cooking gear, spare head torch, silky saw. Having it in these means it's easy to get in and out of a chopper ( pilots get very annoyed when a cardboard box breaks open on a chopper pad), it's waterproof and durable. Atleast if it pours with rain and these sit outside you know it's safe, including Kea!

Camp chairs, if weight allows. After a couple nights sitting on a pile of rocks or a Chilli bin with no back support you'll wish you had one

Cup of soups x50. It's pretty boring if it's pouting with rain and you'll easily drink alot of these

Black sack rubbish bags. Good for all sorts of things around camp. I also put my sleeping bag in one every morning when I got up loosely stuffed. Tents start to condensate after a few days and don't dry up. Last thing you want is coming back to a wet sleeping bag

Then just the usual winter hunting gear. I'll possibly think of other stuff, sorry to ramble on but hopefully usefull to someone none the least. Ow and some of these, shake and fry, don't know of many who think this is a bad idea

Name:  Screenshot_20230125_172155_Gallery.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  599.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  CBCE69D8-3E70-41F8-BE1E-0AA6E894037A.jpeg
Views: 386
Size:  933.4 KB
    Our latest purchase.
    Tahr and bigbear like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Attachment 215454
    Our latest purchase.
    Best bit of kit I've got for winter fly in trips, I've been meaning to get some eyelets put around the bottom flap as in high winds the rocks don't hold them down. And in Westcoast rain and brutal wind I spent about 2 hours finding larger rocks and ended punching pegs through the plastic and placing the rocks on top. Packed my bag ready to walk out if the tent blew away. It held up but it's definitely worth the prep as the weather can make a good trip a very bad one. Take chimney down in high winds also.
    When it's freezing outside and your cooking dinner in stubbies and a singlet it's a good feeling after a big day on the hill.

Bought a canvas tent and putting a flue kit in for a cook tent. Old man has a Winnerwell fire place. Simito what @Monk did. Pic is of his set up. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

@Monk is the closed in pouch a custom made add on or something MIA are doing?

Bought a canvas tent and putting a flue kit in for a cook tent. Old man has a Winnerwell fire place. Simito what @Monk did. Pic is of his set up. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Mint, I was looking at doing the same but run short of time. Made my own fire place and a good bugger off here made me a flue so wasnt too bad cost wise in the end. Considering you have a good base camp sorted I would pack lite as possible, typical winter hunting gear (a fly and warm clothing incase someone has an accident) and some camp gear+ some extra undies etc. load up with some good tucker and plenty of fire wood. And don't burn it all on the last night as you might end up staying a couple of extras, inreach could be handy for weather updates and if you need to be back out within a timeframe, and for stressed wife's lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @Monk is the closed in pouch a custom made add on or something MIA are doing?
    It’s a new thing MIA are doing.Not sure if they are on the market yet.Ben gave it to us to see what we thought.
    bigbear likes this.