Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Tatonka X1 Packs

Hello again everyone, I have a Tatonka Yukon 85+10 litre pack which is the European version of the popular Bison 90+10 X1 pack you have over there in New Zealand and looks exactly the same.
    The X1 frame has Aluminium stays that insert into the hip belt and on one of the Tatonka Hunting youtube videos they show how to loosen the stays to release them from the hip belt for travel
    in cars etc. Has anyone had any experience of air travel with an X1 Tatonka, my worry is the stays even when released from the hip belt stick out a few inches and could by damaged during travel
    as well as making the pack bigger than necessary for checked in baggage on air travel. I'm wondering if they are removable and if so will they go back in again?
    Many thanks,
    Nick

STC
    To my knowledge they yukons frame is different (lighter) from the bison.

The bison fulfils one purpose and only that: carry heavy loads in open terrain. It is not well suited for anything else. I would never use it for airline travel. Too heavy and unwieldy.

Yes those metal rods do still stick out. and a gazillion straps will catch on everything. If you really must use it as checked luggage I would propably wrap the whole damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    To my knowledge they yukons frame is different (lighter) from the bison.

The bison fulfils one purpose and only that: carry heavy loads in open terrain. It is not well suited for anything else. I would never use it for airline travel. Too heavy and unwieldy.

Yes those metal rods do still stick out. and a gazillion straps will catch on everything. If you really must use it as checked luggage I would propably wrap the whole damn thing.
    Yes, I completely agree, many thanks.

When I was a travelling man 25 or more years ago airlines used to put backpacks into bins like fish bins as it made them easier to handle and store.
    Happy Jack.

An update on that question I posted, I'm going to place my rucksack empty in another duffel bag for the air travel. Also I've managed to access the frame and remove the 2 upper aluminium stays that raise the frame up to the location of the uppermost load control buckles, which I don't use for my height, therefore reducing the height down to a 27 inch frame, much more manageable for bush travel as the pack only comes to just above shoulder level now.