Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By hotbarrels
  • 1 Post By Cordite
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Thoughts on binocular harnesses.

Thoughts on binocular harnesses.

I’m curious how many folks are using binocular harnesses and what they are carrying in them.

I’m on foot and shoot goats and the odd deer. I started out keeping my binos in a pouch on my belt, which carried the rest of my gear, then switched to a numbat chest pack as I wanted everything to be readily accessible.

Im using minox 10x42 binos which are nice and compact so I don’t need a dedicated bino pouch. With them I carry a spare magazine, knife, GPS and spare batteries. If I had a LRF I would carry that there as well.

Sometimes in the army we used chest rigs but most are overkill or not suited to civi use on the other hand binocular harnesses don’t carry enough. If I'm going to have the hassle of a pouch on my chest I want it to carry the items that I need quick access to not just my bino’s.

I thought this could be an interesting design if it didn't have so much velcro and elastic on it.
    Name:  micro (2).jpg
Views: 677
Size:  78.6 KB

I’m a bit of a kit pest so I may be overthinking it, I guess most guys just chuck everything in a day pack and go.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

I just use the Hunting Elements bino caddy. I have both sizes as I use two different size bino's depending on the situation. Also have their range finder pouch after a mate lost the original. I find they work great.
    Sh00ter likes this.

Military binos used to have a leather flap with a button hole to attach it to a coat button to prevent them flapping about, as in the nearer officer's case. Most instantly available system and I'm looking for one.

Interesting photo, nearer officer has some non-issued ?7x50s instead of the standard 6x30s, and the older officer in the background still swears by his WW1 Galilean field glasses. A very human picture.

Name:  binoculars.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  40.7 KB

Source page with discussion: German Forces - Taking the long view ...
    Sh00ter likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Military binos used to have a leather flap with a button hole to attach it to a coat button to prevent them flapping about, as in the nearer officer's case. Most instantly available system and I'm looking for one.

Interesting photo, nearer officer has some non-issued ?7x50s instead of the standard 6x30s, and the older officer in the background still swears by his WW1 Galilean field glasses. A very human picture.

Source page with discussion: German Forces - Taking the long view ...
    Less is definately more, but that method does nothing to protect them from getting knocked about or keep the lenses clear.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

sneakywaza I got
    Running a gas mask pouch with clips that mate to clips fitted to the straps at chest height on my pack, Tons of room for all sorts, including binos.
    Converts to a belt bag for when you dump the pack to move fast.
    Sh00ter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh00ter View Post
    I’m curious how many folks are using binocular harnesses and what they are carrying in them.

I’m on foot and shoot goats and the odd deer. I started out keeping my binos in a pouch on my belt, which carried the rest of my gear, then switched to a numbat chest pack as I wanted everything to be readily accessible.

Im using minox 10x42 binos which are nice and compact so I don’t need a dedicated bino pouch. With them I carry a spare magazine, knife, GPS and spare batteries. If I had a LRF I would carry that there as well.

Sometimes in the army we used chest rigs but most are overkill or not suited to civi use on the other hand binocular harnesses don’t carry enough. If I'm going to have the hassle of a pouch on my chest I want it to carry the items that I need quick access to not just my bino’s.

I thought this could be an interesting design if it didn't have so much velcro and elastic on it.
    Attachment 128584

I’m a bit of a kit pest so I may be overthinking it, I guess most guys just chuck everything in a day pack and go.
    Sorry to say it Looks like a bit of b&d fetish kit.
    Moa Hunter and Sh00ter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh00ter View Post
    Less is definately more, but that method does nothing to protect them from getting knocked about or keep the lenses clear.
    Yep. I have a $100 6x30 pair like this fellow below, ex yugo army with Zeiss Jena optics and completely waterproof as the eyepieces are independently adjusted.

The leather cap over they eyepieces slides on the binocular strap by two loops, so flips back and open when I raise the binos to look through them. As for the objectives, bought two cheap chinese flip open scope covers - they open inwards so lie over one another when both open.

Still not as protected as in a bag, but at $100, I'd get upset but not worried if one side cracked. Guess I'd still have a perfect monocular due to how they're made without a central focus.

Name:  close-up-of-german-military-binoculars-of-a-german-soldier-unidentified-JEB6FY.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  176.4 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Sorry to revive an old thread, but curious about the numbat vs dedicated bino harnesses.

I've been looking at the Helikon chest rig instead of a bushbuck, to hold my binos, and rangefinder.

How do you find them Sh00ter? Anyone else using them?