Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By Hunty1
  • 2 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By DylRuss
  • 2 Post By RV1
  • 6 Post By norsk
  • 2 Post By JoelA
  • 2 Post By Joe_90

Thread: Toddler carrier

Toddler carrier

Have been using a macpac carrier for my boy but he’s getting too heavy for it and it sits awkwardly. Anyone used something better for kids in the 12kg plus range?

I'm also in the market,keen to hear what people are using

I have adjusted the macpac one best I can and I’m heading out this afternoon for a couple of hours will see how it goes. Last few times felt like it was leaning too far back and putting all the weight on lower back instead of hips and shoulders.

I use the osprey poco child carrier, I've found it great, abit pricey but some 2nd hand ones come up from time to time

Get em walking

I've got an old "possum" macpac pack, seems to work better than newer designs that I've tried . Kids sits closer to your back. Was a mint on on trademe this week for $100
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

MB
    We had the Kathmandu one. Bloody expensive and my awkward kid never wanted to go in it, but it was good when he did.

macpac possum,about same age called koala made by someone else,they were great packs,kid was against your back and had small compartment for stuff. carried my two kids (not at once of course) many miles in one of them.keeping footwear on the little huas was biggest issue. by time they getting too big/heavy to carry you should be changing things up and getting them walking,yip it means shorter/slower trips..but thats just the way it is..afterall at that age its supposed to be about them being out there enjoying the day/hours in fresh air and out doors.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

A Landcruiser.

And I'll leave now...
    XR500 and RV1 like this.

The macpac was heaps better today after adjusting but yeah he will have to start doing some walking soon he’s not 2 yet so can’t expect too much, at least he enjoys getting out at this stage.
    Hunty1 likes this.

Have you considered this particular rig?

Identify your target beyond all doubt

RV1
    we had an older Macpac one, tough as nails, worked very well. When they got too big/heavy for that the pace of our walks really slowed down as they had to walk themselves...but that only lasted a short while before they get strong enough and build up their stamina. My brother had an Osprey one which was a lot lighter than the Macpac and they werew very happy with that one, although I never tried it.
    Micky Duck and DylRuss like this.

I carry my daughter in a old frame pack. She hangs onto the frame when she feels like it, I have been carrying her in that since she was two, she is gping on 3 and a half now.

Give one a try? Dosnt need to be flash
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Micky Duck, hotsoup, JoelA and 3 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

We have had one of the several of the Macpac carriers, and have found the Macpac possums (older model) to be the best fitting / most comfort even when carrying older children. Although it also needs to be well adjusted with the straps to sit right once they're on your back. Having had heavier little ones it has helped. Even the odd double up (one on shoulders as well) hasn't been too bad for shorter distances. I have heard some good things about the osprey poco though - but not personally tried it.
    RV1 and DylRuss like this.

We got given an older macpac carrier. Works really well, handy having the storage space underneath for drink bottles, lunch etc.

Like any pack, it takes a wee bit of adjusting the straps to get it sitting just right.

Name:  carrier.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  231.3 KB
    RV1 and DylRuss like this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.