Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Trigger stick

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    First up, dont FFS me.
    Not everyone is a super duper hunter/shot like you.
    Youngsters, newbies, older frail people are quite difficult to get on to an animal. A tripod that adjusts to the ground at the pull ot a trigger and is free standing is brilliant for those types. I've had very experienced hunters, both new Zealanders and from overseas comment on how good trigger sticks are after using mine(Jim Shocky promotes them).
    They pack down to about a meter, and with the use of a make shift sling are very easy to carry around.
    Really your six foot manuka poles don't have a lot going for them in comparison.
    Not a super shot, just proficient. My father, an ex deer culler/rabbit board supervisor, taught me to shoot and the army taught me their way. Shoulder reconstruction adds another dimension to offhand shooting. Anyway, when bush shooting there’s usually a makeshift rest handy if you need it. Open country I’ve often got a nibbie with me so don’t need to lay out money on other needless shit. Old I guess and set in my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Go out in the bush and cut yourselve a length of Manuka or Lancewood. Instant Nibbie/musterers stick or shooting stick. Better when dried out. Free and if you can't shoot off that, sell your rifles because you can't shoot for shit anyway. If the weight is too much, Harden the fuck up!
    I have no problems decking deer off the shoulder but a portion of my hunting is on private blocks with a thermal and during the summer the grass is too long to use a bipod or pack for a rest on 300m shots hence why i am enquiring about shooting stick as a alternative rest so i can get some height, open to your suggestions on how you pull off your 300m shots off the shoulder and the best way for someone to harden the fuck up…..🤦🏻*♂️🤣
    Pengy likes this.

I use a lightweight sunwayfoto hunting tripod for all my thermal work. Your gun just needs an arca or picatinny rail attached though. More stable than trigger sticks with a saddle style mount for long range.

“harden the fuck up” was in reference to the latest trend to carry light/ultralight gear. Build your muscle strength/memory through weight/resistance training, eg. exercise by holding your rifle in front of you with extended arms in your lounge/garage wherever, say 5 reps. of 2-3 minutes. Heavier rifles and support poles lend themselves to a steadier shooting platform/stance. Try wrapping your sling around pole, place fifers between rifle for-end and pole and brace yourself, you’ve got three points of ground contact. Steady as. “hunting is on private blocks with a thermal” suggests hours of walking isn’t involved so it’s not going to kill you to carry a bit of weight. I’ve shot deer out to 330m using this method or using handy fence posts or trees for support when night shooting.

How’s this for an idea, from army training way back using basic sights. Draw some circle targets as follows, all shot at 100 yards. Prone: 2 MOA. Sitting or kneeling supported: 3 MOA. Sitting unsupported: 5 MOA. Offhand : 7MOA. When you can achieve consistent hits at that range move back 100 yards and repeat with same targets, eg. 7” @ 200yds offhand. Repeat out to whatever range. When you can consistently hit targets at nominated range/position go hunting, not before. Maybe don’t need to carry a crutch then. As I’ve said elsewhere, since shoulder surgery I use what’s handy for support if I need it. Otherwise the target walks away.
    Eat Meater likes this.

Hey, I've been trying to contact xhunter and join their mailing list, wanting to buy one of these tripods, but keep drawing a blank. I see that the sticks are out of stock, and the price has jumped up to $180. But I would like to know when they will be available again.
    Are they a legit company?
    They don't appear to be easy to get a hold of, or is it just me being a techno-dumbarse?
    Ya can't park there mate.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    Hey, I've been trying to contact xhunter and join their mailing list, wanting to buy one of these tripods, but keep drawing a blank. I see that the sticks are out of stock, and the price has jumped up to $180. But I would like to know when they will be available again.
    They don't appear to be easy to get a hold of, or is it just me being a techno-dumbarse?
    I've placed a couple of orders with them for stuff I couldn't get in NZ. No issues. I've emailed them before asking about products and they got back to me pretty quickly. They are (or at least were) a legit company.

I bought a Primos tripod a while back to use 17 hmr in orchards. It works very well as a rest, if you are already halfway adept at shooting offhand it is almost cheating.

It is harder to use than a rifle mounted bipod, you have to carry it in addition to the rifle, and it doesn't really offer the option of a quick accurate shot due to the set up time involved. It doen't carry very well with the three legs spread, so you have to spread them before pulling the trigger to deploy them. which sort of makes the one handed trigger thing a bit redundant.
    It does work well if you have someone else hunting with you and they can carry it and set it up for you.

Before I bought the primos I was using a piece of 70x45 with a large nail sticking downward from the bottom and a V of plywood nailed to the top with tire tube wrapped around it to make a cradle for the rifle, this was much faster to deploy and surprisingly effective.

For out in the scrub I would lean more toward a stick with a point at the bottom and a V a the top, the tripod will get caught up a lot more in the thick stuff.
    Last edited by longshot; 24-02-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    Pretty sure thats the Ridgeline model under a different name. i have the Rdigeline and the pics look very similar.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

I've got 2 pairs of vanguard shooting sticks.

A older set of GBP 1s and a newer set I'm yet to blood.

For ISP(improvised shooting shooting positions) where it's not viable to lay down or the scrub is too tall their a absolute game changer. I carry my shooting sticks in the left side pocket of my pack which I can grab with my left hand and deploy in all of about 2 seconds.I do not use my bipod as a result. Serious shooters sell the vanguards.

For $109 for the cheapest set of vanguards and they weigh like 200g it's a win win.
    7mmwsm likes this.