Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Ultralight level unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    Anyone have a Revelation APEX quilt? Or a lightish weight synthetic bag?

Current bags are old down ones, good for 1-3 nights but I'm wanting to upgraded for 9 nights in fiordland,

Also I've watched a few on this guys vids re ultralight stuff
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf9733I4gnw
    Good videos from that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    They are pretty small. Smaller than my deshutes and I defo wouldn't want to go much smaller than the dechutes. Im normal size and its reasonably tight
    Definitely don't want small at my size! Maybe suss out a hood for my hh sil fly...

Oh by the way.... I scored a naturehike pillow of aliexpress... That's a definate keeper too!

Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    Anyone have a Revelation APEX quilt? Or a lightish weight synthetic bag?

Current bags are old down ones, good for 1-3 nights but I'm wanting to upgraded for 9 nights in fiordland,

Also I've watched a few on this guys vids re ultralight stuff
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf9733I4gnw
    I have the down version, the apex one would be the go for a long stay in Fiordland. It works well but is a change from a "bag" I have made apex quilts as a bit of an experiment when I thought I might get in to hammock camping. But found you're screwed if its scrubby. They are nearly as good as down. So I would have no hesitation with getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I have the down version, the apex one would be the go for a long stay in Fiordland. It works well but is a change from a "bag" I have made apex quilts as a bit of an experiment when I thought I might get in to hammock camping. But found you're screwed if its scrubby. They are nearly as good as down. So I would have no hesitation with getting one.
    Cheers for that, been looking at synthetic bags as well anyone have one they recommend?
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

An update... Decided I didn't like the short zip on the aegismax so I took it into our local sewing lady.. Had the zip side opened up down the side to about 350mm from the bottom.. I never sleep inside any bag and just prefer the whole quilt type scenario... Anyway, 4 nights in TeUrewera, a bloody cold (for the time of year) southerly, and the little bag was bloody great.. 1 layer of polypro for jarmies and at no time was I cold.. If you're after a good spring-summer-first part of autumn bag..don't hesitate..
    FatLabrador likes this.

@Tikka7mm08

Are you able to post a pic of your Ghost Pepper when in it's compression sack? I'm after a summer bag, my Sea to Summit -5 rating bag is just a bit too big. Hard to tell the size of it from your first photo
    Blisters likes this.

7mm08 case and Garmin 64S.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    scottief likes this.

Anyone tried using LighterPack.com? I have slowly been going through my gear and weighing it and adding it to my list.

I've found it quite useful for helping to identify pieces of gear I pack that are either not getting used, or are excessively heavy and bulky and I've either been getting rid of them or looking for lighter alternatives.

Heres a link to the current fit out of most my gear for a multi night backpack hunting trip with filming equipment. https://lighterpack.com/r/4ng4hc

The total weight is reasonably high by traditional lightweight standards due to the heavy boots and bino pouch etc that I am wearing.

I'm looking to eventually purchase the new Macpac NZAT Down quilt which is 760grams.

Next is to find a lightweight fly suitable for Canterbury tops hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    Anyone tried using LighterPack.com? I have slowly been going through my gear and weighing it and adding it to my list.

I've found it quite useful for helping to identify pieces of gear I pack that are either not getting used, or are excessively heavy and bulky and I've either been getting rid of them or looking for lighter alternatives.

Heres a link to the current fit out of most my gear for a multi night backpack hunting trip with filming equipment. https://lighterpack.com/r/4ng4hc

The total weight is reasonably high by traditional lightweight standards due to the heavy boots and bino pouch etc that I am wearing.

I'm looking to eventually purchase the new Macpac NZAT Down quilt which is 760grams.

Next is to find a lightweight fly suitable for Canterbury tops hunting.
    I have tried it but found it easier just to make a spreadsheet. Going lightweight by backpacking standards is an exercise in frustration when hunting. Carrying 10kg of shit is way nicer than carrying 20kg of shit though. Cool to see a local brand offering quilts.

Defo some weight to be saved with bag and shelter there though. Have a look at a mid type shelter. Light and weather proof. I use a six moon designs deshutes, its light and spacious enough but I haven't tested it in a real blow

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post

I brought a macpac quilt a few days ago.
    Spent last night on it and it got down to 8ēc in the tent.
    I know it's only light but I was cold and I run pretty hot in bags usually.
    Also don't want to be totally negative but the on line product description days " goose down " in a number of places but on the bag it clearly says "grey duck down " !
    Read that at 3am when I was awake due to being cold.

So sadly it's going back.
    Spoken to macpac and no issues despite being used for 1 night.
    Will be interested to see how long it takes them to correct the on line product description .

But might be ideal for summer only if not venturing to high I guess.
    ANTSMAN and Tikka7mm08 like this.

Had kestrel so know it only got to 8ēc because I was awake often and checked it because it felt a hell of a lot colder !

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Had kestrel so know it only got to 8ēc because I was awake often and checked it because it felt a hell of a lot colder !
    What was it rated to? Got 2 quilts, Enlightened Equipment and the Loco Libre - both 20F (-6.666degC) and they are toast.

Also, what sleeping mat did you have under you? That makes a big difference to how much heat you lose into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    What was it rated to? Got 2 quilts, Enlightened Equipment and the Loco Libre - both 20F (-6.666degC) and they are toast.
    well they didn't rate it because its not a sleeping bag.
    But going by the fill weight and loft I would have expected it to have been ok at 8 degrees