Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Ultralight tents

There's a nice light one person Terra Nova tent on Trade Me at the moment I noticed. These are pretty good. I've got a couple. The price is $250 or something like that, and it closes at 7.30pm tonight I think.
    Not at home so I can't look up the link.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    There's a nice light one person Terra Nova tent on Trade Me at the moment I noticed. These are pretty good. I've got a couple. The price is $250 or something like that, and it closes at 7.30pm tonight I think.
    Not at home so I can't look up the link.
    You may have three soon
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Tyvek, aka building wrap... Or cuben fibre, but it ain't cheap... www.zpacks.com

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Sweet tyvek it is then.. Anyone working at a building site down south atm? Haha

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    You may have three soon
    Nah, I was outbid. Which was a relief ‘cos I’m not sure why I bid on it at at all Just seemed like good value for a neat little tent. I would have been pleased if a forum member had got it. It was cheap for what it went for.

I use a macpac minaret . Weighs 2.2 kg dry. including 8 homemade alloy pegs.

Bought it in chch in 93 and didn't open it till we had walked 16 hours from Erewhon station up the godley to some pokey little hut.Set it up in the dark first time no issues within 5 mins and have got it down pat to within 2 mins in the rain.

Still going strong and i lived in it for weeks on end at times when I was living in queenstown. Flys as strong as ever. Taken a serious amount of wind and snow on it and hasn't collapsed yet.

Large enough for 2 people uncrammed,Dog against the mesh door,plus two 90 ltr macpac cascades under the vestibule.

Best thing is if I want to take a chance on the weather,I just take the outer fly,pegs n poles and it weighs under a kilo. Gives you even more room, not fully sandfly proof anymore but a non issue as my bag liner has a mozzie mesh hood on it.

wouldn't be without it.

"bag liner has a mozzie mesh hood on it."

Sounds like a good idea, what brand was that liner Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    "bag liner has a mozzie mesh hood on it."

Sounds like a good idea, what brand was that liner Pete?
    Macpac Luxury liner.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/s...0stuff/005.jpg

bought in 93 along with my sleeping bag.... don't know if the new ones have the mesh hood but its a useful feature.

I've made my own winter ones before - go to a fabric shop and buy 2 1/2 metres of whatever polarfleece takes your fancy (usually about $6 a metre )and a metre of mozzie mesh. Sew the long sides of the fleece together and sew the mesh on. Under $20 all up,about the size of your fist when scrunched up, extra warmth when you need it and keeps the sodding sandflies off your face when your under a fly only.

Or just sew the mesh onto the liner you have.
    Last edited by oneipete; 24-03-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Cheers for that, I like the idea of a fleece bag liner too because that can make a 3-season sleeping bag turn into a 4-season bag and I could use just the fleece on its own in the high summer - bloody good idea, I'll give it a go.

K95
    Looking through old threads. I just saw big agnes has updated the UL2 it's now ridiculously light. 1lb 15oz.
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 Tent
    I've had a good run out of my older style one so far.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

I have been looking at the MSR Carbonfelex 2 and also looking at Kuiu offerings aswell as a few from Bivouac outdoors.

Will have to have a read through thread this tonight

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I have been looking at the MSR Carbonfelex 2 and also looking at Kuiu offerings aswell as a few from Bivouac outdoors.

Will have to have a read through thread this tonight
    Take a look at the Tarptents and Big Agnes as above.
    I have an older Carbon Reflex 1 and its pretty good. I bought it secondhand though as I don't think they are worth what you pay retail.
    199p likes this.

Take a look at the Tarptents and Big Agnes as above.
    I have an older Carbon Reflex 1 and its pretty good. I bought it secondhand though as I don't think they are worth what you pay retail.
    Those two and the Zpacks one are the 3 I have on my short list.
    Was looking at MSR but agree on price and was also looking at exped mera2 but these options are far superior.

Yeah, saw that one BC. Reviews are suggesting its a bit too small for a taller fella like me and they are not freestanding.
    I am 6'1 and I find it fine. You are tight there is not oodles of room, but it is a one person tent after all. For overnighters and weekend trips it is fine. And not freestanding? It is fine in that sense. it can be set up and moved around and staked into position, so isn't that freestanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    I am 6'1 and I find it fine. You are tight there is not oodles of room, but it is a one person tent after all. For overnighters and weekend trips it is fine. And not freestanding? It is fine in that sense. it can be set up and moved around and staked into position, so isn't that freestanding?
    Ha ha. I bought it nearly a year ago now and yes it has a decent amount of room considering. Only used it twice but it is fine.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    walked 16 hours from Erewhon station up the godley to some pokey little hut.
    That's quite a feat, geographically
    GravelBen likes this.