Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Underrated but Valuable Kit

A length of building wrap (the stuff they staple to timber frame buildings before the exterior cladding goes on. Makes for a decent ground sheet. Vapour permeable but waterproof enough to lie on.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

For fly-ins I like to take a good pair of camp sandals, a poncho, baby-wipes and an army-surplus spade. Makes those rainy toilet missions much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    In lieu of toilet paper grab those handy pak paper tissues. Stronger and folded. They don't disintegrate in your pack like loo paper does either and do a good job
    I reckon wet wipes are even better. They never disentigrate and are more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I reckon wet wipes are even better. They never disentigrate and are more versatile.
    +1, get the little travel pack ones.... always keep a set of them in my belt pack.
    One of the small luxuries that makes life a little more comfortable in the bush.

I've noticed that some SAR people carry miles too much gear. I'm not a minimalist; but I've learnt the hard way that carting shit around that you'll never use is a waste of time...

This is a hunting forum; who's ever used a survival straw?

Just remember the seven Ps. Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.
    Wanderer likes this.

K95
    An inflatable pillow is under rated.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

res
    Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    An inflatable pillow is under rated.
    Sure is, I use a wine cask bladder
    Using Tapatalk

I've noticed that some SAR people carry miles too much gear. I'm not a minimalist; but I've learnt the hard way that carting shit around that you'll never use is a waste of time...

Generally, those SAR people are carrying around a pile of gear for those people that don't.

And yup, used a survival straw - well - a Sawyer Mini anyhow. Means I don't have to worry about carry any water weight.
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloke View Post

And yup, used a survival straw - well - a Sawyer Mini anyhow. Means I don't have to worry about carry any water weight.
    I wouldn't recommend not carrying water. It'd be a long night sucking up water and spitting it into a billy for a dehydrated meal.
    Shootm likes this.

I wouldn't recommend not carrying water. It'd be a long night sucking up water and spitting it into a billy for a dehydrated meal.
    With a Lifestraw, yes. A Sawyer Mini threads onto a Pump bottle or any soft drink bottle, or can be fitted inline on the hose of a hydration bladder. Fill bottle from suspect water source, screw on the filter, squirt into billy.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    With a Lifestraw, yes. A Sawyer Mini threads onto a Pump bottle or any soft drink bottle, or can be fitted inline on the hose of a hydration bladder. Fill bottle from suspect water source, screw on the filter, squirt into billy.
    A with a lifetime longer than I will ever need.

I mean, I always have a litre or so on me - because not everywhere has water. But I don't have to worry about boiling water for drinking during the day, nor carrying around multiple litres.

If I am traveling really light, I am not carrying anything I need to cook anyhow.
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle