Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kea47
  • 1 Post By Shamus_
  • 1 Post By SGR

Thread: Ute draws and 270 degree awning

Ute draws and 270 degree awning

After an enjoyable fewcdays camping out of the ute i am thinking of setting it up for more roadvtrips andvute side camping.

Thinking a set of Ute draws with a slidevout kitchen and a 270 degree awning to put a swag or stretcher tent under would be ideal for those quick setup and pack down trips. The plastic tubs and fly worked fine and cheaper.. but you only live once..

Any recommendations on what to go with?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

What is your plan on fitting a 270 awning to that vehicle? You will have a long unsupported overhang to the rear which will put quite a leverage on those roof bars ...

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    What is your plan on fitting a 270 awning to that vehicle? You will have a long unsupported overhang to the rear which will put quite a leverage on those roof bars ...
    Why will it be unsupported? It’ll attach to the two on the cab and the one on the rear of the canopy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, some drawers and awning make a big difference. check the weight of the drawers as some are damn heavy (80kg)or you can make your own out of 12mm ply, good if you can set them up for easy removal too. Most 270 awnings you can setup easily by yourself, not the same with a straight one. Depends on your budget, I went for middle of road an RMR 270; seems pretty good although I wouldn't rely on it without using the poles. you might want one more cross bar on the canopy too.
    Fat belly Dog likes this.

Thanks,

I do have 3 x-bars on the ute, last one on the rear of the FG canopy isn't clear in the photo.

Good idea about making the draws easy to remove.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Thanks,

I do have 3 x-bars on the ute, last one on the rear of the FG canopy isn't clear in the photo.

Good idea about making the draws easy to remove.

Cheers

I didn't see the 3rd roof bar bar when I first looked
    I did look into fitting a 270 awning on my dual cab + canopy ute a while back and it didn't seem to be recommended practice to attach the awning support bar to both the roof bars AND any canopy bars because of body flex worrying away at the mounting points. I just had a further look and see this outfit in Oz make a bracket to compensate for this https://www.toughtouring.com.au/prod...unting-bracket

SGR
    I’ve got a rhino rack 270 awning on my land cruiser and couldn’t speak highly enough of it. Had a cheaper repco straight styled awning on a previous awning and I wouldn’t touch it again after having the rhino rack

New drawer units from M2 overland remaster etc seem to run around $4k.

These guys here have some very heavy duty drawer runners. When I worked in a different job I got some in for a builder to use in his van and he wanted the heaviest duty ones available at the time.

I see him around still and they are still in use.
    Happy Jack.

We just use fish bins as we dont permanently live on the road. Cheap removable fits everything in them portable table and some fold up chairs and that's us and a tent and tarp we have a couple of different sized ones depending how long we are staying and how fast we want to set up
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke