Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Walkie talkies/comms

All Govt departments (DoC, SAR, NZDF, Customs etc) generally use VHF freqs in the ES band (136 - 149mhz if memory serves me right) not the PRS part of the UHF spectrum (476-477mhz) that all the GME's, Unidens etc operate on. Defence buy the most expensive, so operate Motorolas. Taits also get used as they are NZ assembled I believe. But again, far more expensive than GME's etc.
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    All Govt departments (DoC, SAR, NZDF, Customs etc) generally use VHF freqs in the ES band (136 - 149mhz if memory serves me right) not the PRS part of the UHF spectrum (476-477mhz) that all the GME's, Unidens etc operate on. Defence buy the most expensive, so operate Motorolas. Taits also get used as they are NZ assembled I believe. But again, far more expensive than GME's etc.
    Correct. Department of corrections use Motorola DMR radios on their own encrypted repeaters with GPS system and panic/man down buttons on them.
    Not a cheap set up! The forestry down here have moved to a similar setup, without the encryption stuff. Their own repeater systems though. costing hunters a bit of coin that have access to the forestry blocks. Something I've been considering...

Is it possible to use the same repeaters that DOC use, with a non encrypted vhf/uhf ?

No. Not legally. DoC paid to have the repeaters installed, and pay an annual fee to Radio Spectrum NZ or some such Govt dept for the use of those frequencies.

In high usage areas (Auck, ChCh) there may well be UHF repeaters operating. But everyone hears everyone else.

You almost certainly won't have access to a repeater when sitting high in the Kawekas, but I have picked up boaties in the HB yakking about their latest catch from the tops of the Kaimanawas, when doing a scan.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    No. Not legally. DoC paid to have the repeaters installed, and pay an annual fee to Radio Spectrum NZ or some such Govt dept for the use of those frequencies.

In high usage areas (Auck, ChCh) there may well be UHF repeaters operating. But everyone hears everyone else.

You almost certainly won't have access to a repeater when sitting high in the Kawekas, but I have picked up boaties in the HB yakking about their latest catch from the tops of the Kaimanawas, when doing a scan.
    Cheers for the reply XR500
    I was actually specifically talking about the Kawekas The repeater on the summit of North Kaweka.
    Have used that repeater a few times with a DOC radio to report back to Makahu base while doing work with the BCT, works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    Cheers for the reply XR500
    I was actually specifically talking about the Kawekas The repeater on the summit of North Kaweka.
    Have used that repeater a few times with a DOC radio to report back to Makahu base while doing work with the BCT, works really well.
    I'm unfamiliar with that region, but I know here in Canterbury almost all repeater sites have various repeaters for different businesses etc. here in chch you can pay a monthly subscription fee to use a repeater through various radio companies. You would need to pay a licence fee as well to be allowed to use it, and also have programmable radios, it is probably not economically viable to use a repeater unless it is for business use.
    There is public repeaters around on PRS channels but as already stated, they are busy and limited to the region of where the repeater has coverage.

We have used these AliExpress 5W rechargeable units for about 2 years
    Lightweight, seem to have good range and charged batteries seem to last for ages

Abbree Ar-63 Portable Mini Walkie Talkie
    Sika 8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    I use Baofeng 5W + 8W .....i got a pair for $130 on Amazon & then bought a 3rd one for $70 i think.
    (You are meant to be licensed to have anything over 5W but you can bring in whatever you want no issues)

Range is great especially line of sight,..
    The first thing you do with these after choosing the freq etc is lock the keypad so that they can't be accidentally buggered up.
    My pair came via a member here and do all I need. I make a point of not drowning them.
    Sika 8 likes this.