Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Water bladder

Water bladder

Had a crap run with them leaking recently.
    what brands have you had a good showing from? would prefer in the 2L sizing.

I've used a 2L camelbak for years with no issues, have also got a 4L Hydrapak thats been great for hauling water back to camp.
    techno retard likes this.

I've used 2x3L osprey bladders for the last 3 years with a few falls and no issues so far

Osprey 2l with the hard back they are bloody great.
    The hard back makes it so easy to push into your pack sleeve when full.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

My platypus ones are at least 15 years old

Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

When you started writing about aging water bladders I was going to say that "that's what happens to all of us if we live long enough."

Then I saw that that wouild be off topic.
    Pixie Z, csmiffy, RV1 and 1 others like this.

I have used two 1L Platypus bladder/bottles for 12+ years as well with no issue. Have a 2L one as as an added storage option if water is far from camp.

Got a mate with one of these 4L Hydrapak storage modules https://dwights.co.nz/products/hydrapak-seeker-4l and I'm pretty sure it has loops for strapping onto your pack which is super handy. One of these will be an addition to my kit in the near future.

All my hydration bladders with hoses are Camelbak and have been thrashed over the years with no issues. Some of the other brands (especially cheaper ones) I have used or have mates that use seem to either leak or sweat inside the packs and wet all the gear.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

I use a 2L Platypus bladder and hose and like it a lot. I got lucky with mine too- was on a hunt with my brother and a mate in October 2022 when one evening I realised I'd lost the nozzle/mouthpiece from the end of my hose... Three months later I was stalking through some thick bush in the same area and spotted something blue in the dirt. Was the nozzle from my platypus... However my celebrations were short-lived, as a few hours later, while carrying a butchered hind back to camp I realised that my wedding ring had disappeared... went back in with my brother a week later armed with a metal detector and we re-traced my steps but no luck.

Those 4L hydrapaks look great for additional needs. Usually I'll carry in old soft drink bottles of water for if I don't have a ready water source and then squish them up to carry out later, but the hydrapak looks great.

I might need to look at a 1L one too for when I ditch the pack to bush stalk and take the removable bumbag. Can't fit a big bottle, but a small hydrapak would be perfect.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Z View Post
    I might need to look at a 1L one too for when I ditch the pack to bush stalk and take the removable bumbag. Can't fit a big bottle, but a small hydrapak would be perfect.
    One or two 500ml Hydrapak Stow Bottles are ideal for bumbag hunting.
    Pixie Z likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    One or two 500ml Hydrapak Stow Bottles are ideal for bumbag hunting.
    Those look good. Think I'll get a couple of those. My other alternative to the bumbag is my TwinNeedle hunters belt- have a 1L bottle pouch for that. But don't tend to carry that on multi-day trips when I've got all my other gear.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Z View Post
    Those look good. Think I'll get a couple of those. My other alternative to the bumbag is my TwinNeedle hunters belt- have a 1L bottle pouch for that. But don't tend to carry that on multi-day trips when I've got all my other gear.
    The best thing about them is the non-return valve on the cap. As you drink the water, the bottle decreases in volume and no air enters. No air pocket means no noise from water slopping about as you walk through the bush.
    Pixie Z likes this.

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I have one of those 1.5 liter hydrapak bottles. Really good due to the no noise.
    But I find if I have to stop to get water out of my pack I don't drink enough.
    Have used a Stoney Creek bladder for years and it finally punctured recently. So I bought a Bushbuck one but haven't used it yet. Looks OK though.
    Anyone tried them?
    Yep had a bushbuck one for last 3 years the 3L one been good as gold. Just brought a 2L platypus one tho as 3L one is tight in my pack. I like the big screw lid on the bushbuck one better as its quick to fill. About the only bit of there kit that have brought that hasn't failed yet.

Platypus ones used to have a lifetime warranty, dont know about now though.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Camelbak are still my go too, the new gen ones with the big screw top & removeable sucker pipes work great, just don't lose the O ring outta the plug in part

But like everything that involves water ( & many times sugary carbo fluids ) they only have a limited self life ( no matter what BS warranty they come with ) no matter how well you clean n store it, this includes the freezer or steredent tablet trick, I replace mine every one - two years
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!