Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: What kind of boots for NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jukes View Post
    Meindl guffert gtx, has a wider sole than the Island Pro model. Found this great as an all-round boot. Med stiffness shank, good leather, medium rand. Covers all of the North Island hunting I get to do.
    Meindl Bhutans are mine, excellent bush boots
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    where in nz are you visiting?
    Hopefully the Nelson area but only a brief trip of 40 or so years.
    veitnamcam, Brian, Shearer and 3 others like this.

Gkp
    This is like asking what's the best calibre!
    But for me if I am carrying any weight then I am on my 3rd set of meindls and can't fault them. Had 2 island pros now the Dovre lows and they are the business.
    If you are summer hunting with not much weight on your back then Selewas are good. Just not water proof when walking through wet tusocks for hours. Plus side being that they are not leather and dry out quickly

A pair of Red Bands will suit you well for most of the NI at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    This is like asking what's the best calibre!
    I may have only spent three weeks there but I learned enough to know that a 308 or 30-06 has never been able to kill anything more than a small rabbit. You need a 6.5XYZ to be a real hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I hunted for Forest Service for five years in Te Urewera and was a senior Ranger in there for 8 years - we only ever wore Skellerup Buller rubber boots - not one of us wore anything else - we used a 5 foot strip of 6 in wide light canvas as a putty around the top to keep crap out - I had two pairs -one pair without holes when we were not going to be river crossing and one pair was prepared for river travel - we burnt two holes -low down either side of instep to get water out once we had crossed river - quarter inch hole does it - dont be tempted to put hole on front - that sucks gravel in - much of Te Urewera is accessed by river travel and 12-15 crossings are not uncommon per day - they really are a superb choice for North Island bush country and even semi farmland -very quiet to stalk in - but Bullers are not suitable for much of the South Island or rocky parts of North Island such as Kawekas -one needs a decent alpine leather boot - Bullers are for soft ground not rocky stuff - my hunting in Taranaki bullers nothing else
    oih....some of us still wear the taller version..ashleys and do our hunting in the south island....
    I do have another pair of boots which usually get the nod on hot days..but if its even slightly damp is gummies all day long.... not the best choice for up on the tops,and wouldnt want to spend much time on rock...but you CAN do a little bit without issues.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    I may have only spent three weeks there but I learned enough to know that a 308 or 30-06 has never been able to kill anything more than a small rabbit. You need a 6.5XYZ to be a real hunter
    Joe reality check - in the last month in the North Island more deer and pigs will have been shot by local hunters wearing buller short gumboots or red band short gum boots than any thing else - good enough for us
    Gkp likes this.

Really Barry??? Thats a pretty broad statement.
    True for paddock hunters though I suppose

Why anyone would recommend gumboots as the best hunting boot is beyond me.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Really Barry??? Thats a pretty broad statement.
    True for paddock hunters though I suppose
    no think about it - all the local hunters in Te Urewera- Murupara- not very many will be wearing meindls or any expensive boot - they will wear what they have - the same up the coast from Opotiki and back of Gisborne -Wairoa -Wanganui- Taumaranui -Taranaki - most of those local boys cant afford $500 boots - so its red bands or bullers - and they get a lot of deer and pigs because they have access to some very good hunting areas -so no I dont believe I am to short of the mark - ya dont need in North Island to spend a weeks wages on flash
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Why anyone would recommend gumboots as the best hunting boot is beyond me.
    I didnt...I answered the question that was asked...honestly and truthfully.
    why anyone would recommend $500 plus boots as the best hunting boot is beyond me....heavy noisy smelly plurry things that scould the crap out of my feet if worn wet or on warm day.....years of problem feet was solved the instant I changed over to ashleys as my main boot...the Sarvo synthetic hi top boots are my other pair,bought after mates gave me shit about gummies...they are great boots,but if its wet or damp,the ashleys are ideal....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    why anyone would recommend $500 plus boots as the best hunting boot is beyond me....heavy noisy smelly plurry things that scould the crap out of my feet if worn wet or on warm day.....years of problem feet was solved the instant I changed over to ashleys as my main boot...the Sarvo synthetic hi top boots are my other pair,bought after mates gave me shit about gummies...they are great boots,but if its wet or damp,the ashleys are ideal....
    they are just not getting it Mickey Duck for South Island thar chamois snow ice crampons yes spend and get the right boot - but for Te Urewera Waioeka Taumaranui National Park Pureora Whirinaki and yes Stewart Island Bullers Ashleys all you need and you will be very happy with them
    RV1 likes this.

just looked at the price of a pair of Ashley's. Over $200 a pair. Not particularly cheap. I could get a pair of Salewas for not much more.
    Shearer and Moa Hunter like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    just looked at the price of a pair of Ashley's. Over $200 a pair. Not particularly cheap. I could get a pair of Salewas for not much more.
    My new ones just cost me $170, you looking in the wrong places.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    This is the type of thread where there is no right answer. Here’s my 10 cents based on my experience. I wore out a pair of Ashley’s followed by a pair of bullers in the kawekas as a young fella. Yeah they are cheap but like anything else you get what you pay for. Cart a pack load of venison out of back ridge biv over the main range and tell me your feet are not sore. No real ankle support when carrying heavy loads. Yes good having holes in the instep and they dry quickly. No good in summer when your mate takes his boots off in the evening and they have been sweating in rubber all day !
    I brought my first pair of meindls in 2007 for a South Island hunting trip. I wore them out and had them re soled. I’m on my fourth pair now. Would I ever go back to the buller express ? No friggin the way. My bullers these days live at my camp and serve as slippers in the evening. Best use for them. Will leave carrying big loads to a boot more suited.