Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: What should I buy?!

I like the osprey packs. Loads of pockets and features and the maller ones (day packs) have a nice back mesh. I use a plb + topo50 map app on my phone when I'm out.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth. I got a second hand old macpac cascade 90 litre for 70 bucks. And 75 bucks to get it fixed. Used it on a trip that was a 4 day fly camp and it worked mint.

Always an option
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    Good point with the plb. Will definitely be getting one sooner than later. I’m thinking the app is the way to go too. Even better it can work on flight mode.
    I’ll have a look at the larger packs, didn’t even think about carrying meat out haha. Wouldn’t mind getting a game bag too if I can.
    Yeah game bags are ok but remember the dictum that "A heavy pack is made up of lots of light things" - it's better if you can get things to do "double duty" like having hand sanitiser double as a fire starter aid

If you can carry a shedload of gear on a fly-in trip then yeah, carry the deep freeze too
    If you walk in and walk out then a daypack that is light but expandable on top of the main pack is always a good idea

In an ideal hunt ya pack in food and pack out meat

Sorry, to be clear what I am trying to say is that I reckon it is better to carry less gear, but is of a high quality, than a shedload of gear for every eventuality
    Moa Hunter, Max Headroom and RUMPY like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    For what it's worth. I got a second hand old macpac cascade 90 litre for 70 bucks. And 75 bucks to get it fixed. Used it on a trip that was a 4 day fly camp and it worked mint.

Always an option
    A lot of older packs have crappy straps on a good pack. I had Twin Needle fit new straps to and old pack. $60 for a drop in padded backing with modern straps. Turned an old canvas Fairydown into a great pack

Macpac all the way for packs. Wait for a special and you will get a good deal. Their sizing guide is pretty spot on. You can also return if it is the wrong harness size.

I have heard lots of good things about Cactus Backpacks and their gear is well worth looking at ..https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/pack...ramp-walk.html And unless I am mistaken, it is made here in Christchurch.

I got my PLB from MyCooeeBay (He is on here as well) https://www.skippersmate.com.au/ $300 ish when I got mine with a 10 year battery.

The comments about checking out 2nd hand are very valid as the packs get dirty and used pretty quickly.
    CooeeBay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I have heard lots of good things about Cactus Backpacks and their gear is well worth looking at ..https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/pack...ramp-walk.html And unless I am mistaken, it is made here in Christchurch.

I got my PLB from MyCooeeBay (He is on here as well) https://www.skippersmate.com.au/ $300 ish when I got mine with a 10 year battery.

The comments about checking out 2nd hand are very valid as the packs get dirty and used pretty quickly.
    90 fitzgerald ave christchurch. the old TRS building
    CooeeBay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    A lot of older packs have crappy straps on a good pack. I had Twin Needle fit new straps to and old pack. $60 for a drop in padded backing with modern straps. Turned an old canvas Fairydown into a great pack
    Yeah mine killed me on a hike up umakarikari. Got it fixed although it wasn't in the docket? So we'll see if ghye did as asked.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post

The https://www.skippersmate.co.nz store is all in NZ$'s

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    The husbands birthday is coming up in a few months and I want to buy him some good hunting gear for our trips away.
    He needs a good hunting pack, a gps and or plb and I want to get some long range walkies and I’m putting together a nice new first aid kit.
    I want to try and spend no more than $1500 all up. If I can get most on clearance I’ll be stoked.
    I was looking at a rhino but I’m thinking would it be best to buy a plb and gps instead? If I buy a rhino will I still need a plb or is it all in one? The rhino is pricey but I’ll finance it if I really have to.
    What size bag do you find best for taking on day a 3 day hunt?
    What are your must haves?
    We have some pretty big trips coming up later this year and I’d love to make sure he has all that he needs as well as score some pretty good brownie points.
    We haven’t done any really big trips yet so have just made so with taking basics.
    @Chelsea From a safety point of view - what a great person you and wife you are in getting him prepared... My wife wishes many a time I get lost and don't come home. If you want to send me @CooeeBay a private message, I'll put together a good rescue pack for you to give him.
    timattalon, ROKTOY and Rocco like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CooeeBay View Post
    @Chelsea From a safety point of view - what a great person you and wife you are in getting him prepared... My wife wishes many a time I get lost and don't come home. If you want to send me @CooeeBay a private message, I'll put together a good rescue pack for you to give him.
    @Chelsea That is an offer worth looking into....
    CooeeBay likes this.