Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Frodo
  • 2 Post By stagstalker
  • 2 Post By BRADS
  • 1 Post By MSL
  • 1 Post By rupert
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP

Thread: What waterproof/resistant jacket do you use or recommend

What waterproof/resistant jacket do you use or recommend

Hey gents,

Just took my Stoney Creek Stillwater jacket out of the wash and it is fked.
    I put it on a hot wash because of all the blood and shit on it and that must have undone the glued in seams. Should have read the wash instructions.
    I'll be able to give it a home-job fix with some gorilla tape but it definitely wont be the same.

I'm now after a recommendation for a new jacket.
    I am of the "buy once cry once" mindset and look after my gear the best I can so I'd appreciate your best recommendations.

Thanks in advance and hope you all have a productive weekend,

Dan

Swazi

MSL
    Micklagaard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamegear

Have a read of this thread. https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....an-most-69736/

If you want long-lasting, stay away from anything with taped seams. It doesn't matter how much you spend; taped seams all fail in the same way. Glue becomes brittle over time.

Stitched seams, on the other hand, will 'flex' with the fabric, and if they're ever torn, you can do a repair job in the field with a thread and needle.

If you go with wool (felted wool is the best), no seam tape is required to block wind/water out, because wool swells when wet, and any holes in the seams will close right up. This is why the Scottish Highlanders used to dip their kilts in a river before using them as blankets. The water would make the wool swell, and the pores would close right up - providing them with a weather proof barrier.

If you really must have something 100% waterproof, for use in stationary situations (where you won't be moving ad working up a sweat), you're better off with a coat from Farmlands or PGG's. Will last just as long as one of the fancy hunting/hiking oriented jackets, but not cost as much. Line 7 or Techniflex are both good options.
    Last edited by Frodo; 18-03-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    Phil_H likes this.

Most nz hunting branded jackets are behind the game now. Stoney creek, swazi etc all big and bulky. My personal preference is with the Hunters Element jackets because I am yet to convince myself on giving up the kiwi style long jacket and I find their cut and fit the most advanced over the other nz options. If it weren’t for the length I would be using first lite or kuiu etc any day of the week over the rest. One by one i’m slowly replacing a lot of my hunting clothing/gear with kuiu. It’s just so much better. Even the tramping/mountain brands like RAB are solid options worth a look.
    Sonicjoe and Ned like this.

MSL
    Really like my Swazi Tahr ultralight, but all the seam tape is coming away, not even 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Most nz hunting branded jackets are behind the game now. Stoney creek, swazi etc all big and bulky. My personal preference is with the Hunters Element jackets because I am yet to convince myself on giving up the kiwi style long jacket and I find their cut and fit the most advanced over the other nz options. If it weren’t for the length I would be using first lite or kuiu etc any day of the week over the rest. One by one i’m slowly replacing a lot of my hunting clothing/gear with kuiu. It’s just so much better. Even the tramping/mountain brands like RAB are solid options worth a look.
    Once you've realized you'd do better with macpac than any kuiu gear you'll be away

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    ebf and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Once you've realized you'd do better with macpac than any kuiu gear you'll be away

Kuiu stuff seems extremely fragile

BRADS likes this.

German army parka: reasonable price (around $100 in excellent used condition), waterproof, light, softish so it doesn't make a racket in the bush and rolls up smaller than the NZ Army parka (also about $100, waterproof, heavier and makes a racket).
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post

Macpac is one of my go to brands as I get a good discount. It’s not bad stuff. Still prefer kuiu though sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Kuiu stuff seems extremely fragile

It sort of depends what and where I reckon. I love wearing merino as my shirt/base layer all season round now but like you have said the kuiu one is very fragile and does fall apart if worked hard. I prefer my macpac merino shirt in this instance. On the other hand my kuiu attack pants are the best pants i’ve ever owned and are a workhorse. My mates have just bought some new kuiu jackets for our upcoming fiordland trip. Will be a good test.

@Daniel Kwon all depends on what type of hunting you are wanting to do and then finding a jacket that suits.
    So whats the main hunting you do?

If you want a good long rain coat look at earth Sea sky

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Im looking at a Cactus raincoat so be good to hear on them, Cactus gear is dependable for sure.
    The Kuiu gear I’ve had (from @BRADS) was good enough for me only have close to skin stuff now.
    Dan M