Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: What's your favorite 'old faithful' bit of hunting clothing?

I think circa 1984/5 I bought from a place called Valentines (sold a lot of military gear etc) in Hamilton (think it was called Valentines Army Surplus ???
    Anyway - it was a Oil Skin that was an identical copy of the original Green Swandri Bush Shirt
    With same pocket and lace front - length down over arse etc - identical cut
    They had 2 in Med
    I kicked myself for years later not buying both
    That coat/anorak did me for 20+ years.
    Twice I threw it in the rubbish and twice I got it back out - just could not do it :-(

BUT - if someone gave me a new one today - I wouldn't touch it
    It was perfect for bush hunting and especially carrying fresh shot Deer (for sale)
    It was cold as charity to put on every morning (stayed 8 days a fortnight in remote bush camp back then) and stiff as a board when cold
    But that and wool shearers singlet underneath was what was worn all year round
    You had to keep moving though or you got cold sweat chill near immediately

So that and the Black (and the Oatmeal Turu) wool T and singlets are all a thing of the past for me now.
    Who would of thought that - back then ah
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

dont own them anymore but a set of cabellas electric socks.
    1 D cell each side could keep yer feet from freezing all day inside a pair of boots

For me it would have to be an old pair of Meindl boots. They would be close to 25 years old and are looking a bit worse for wear these days, with limited tread left and some cracked leather in the flex points, but still very comfortable and supportive. I continue to use them for easier farm style hunts and even gave them another thrashing in the bush last weekend. Strangely enough I still often pull them out of the wardrobe instead of a far newer pair of island pros and Z8s
    caberslash and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

For rainy days I still wear a pair of cabelas goretex /fleece trousers made during the good years and bought in their bargain cave in their South Dakota shop in 2003.

Macpac straight gaiters 23 years young worn and many serious trips most multiple days and still going strong, have only changed the under wires a few times and still have a crampon hole in the left one from their second trip out when I took a tumble.

Been around the world with me too.

And a fleece beanie that I still wear too as it has been on every trip I have done for 28 years here and overseas winter and summer

My Meindl drove extreme boots, they must be seven years old and I can still stand in a creek with water mills from the top with bone dry feet. Not cheap but worth every cent.

My second choice would be my Huntech Rugaz shorts, Im pretty sure those things can survive pretty much anything. I have several pairs of various ages but None have died yet...

bees knees.... a mid thigh length pair of blue thermals...unusual in that side panels are very light polarfleece not polyprop like the rest.getting a few holes too many now but cant bring myself to chuck them out.

I bought a huntec swanni style top in 1995. Still going strong. Love that top.
    Micky Duck and 30late like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    I bought a huntec swanni style top in 1995. Still going strong. Love that top.
    In recent years I've gone back to wearing my original Huntec fleece swanni , bought when they first came out God knows when that was, my favorite bit of clothing!!.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Swazi wind fleece camo Swanny. Just all round useful, simple, manages to be warm when you need it - in the teeth of a southerly - but not too hot to hunt in on a warm day. Shame they stopped making them

Still have original " Ridgeline" pants and swannie from the beginning of polar fleece in hunting clothing. Would be 40 years old. Very heavy duty, not for walking in but great on 4 Wheeler. Original owner started up at home, Reloaders in their early days marketed them to order.

Have been very happy with my Cabelas rain suede jacket. Must be around 20 years old now and I still use it as my main hunting raincoat. Lightweight, blocks wind and still keeps water out.