Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 1 Post By rugerman

Thread: Who are good Garmin dealers ?

Who are good Garmin dealers ?

I'm looking to replace my handheld Oregon.

Years ago I bought one from a real good guy in Christchurch (KiwiGPS) but can't locate him online now.

I'm thinking of using a watch instead, so need to talk with someone who really knows about them and can give some backup.

Who are the Go To suppliers now ?

@Bagheera am sure tony is still going stumbled on his web page the other day.
    Bagheera likes this.

Don't know if he has a new website but he's had this up for a while
    https://www.kiwigps.co.nz/

Provides great service with the dealings I've had with him
    Bagheera likes this.

SiB
    Likewise - he’s good to deal with - although it was a few years back

Ned
    What do you want to use the watch for?
    I have a garmin fenix 5 with the standard topo maps on it.
    I like the watch but wouldn't use it as a primary navigation tool at all. Kind of useful to look at your breadcrumb trail to see where you are but the watch face is very small if you're trying to get much of an idea as to where you are actually are. The follow route can work well but if it thinks you're off course then doesn't help at all.

I got rid of an inreach explorer+ and went to the mini and use my cellphone for checking where I'm at if needed.. (map and compass on board for back up of course).

as above, I had a 5s and now a 6 watch with maps. need to get my glasses out to read the maps and even then the detail is weak.
    so use the watch all the time, gives distance, elevation, track back etc, compass etc. records everything you need. good battery etc
    can use sight and go to get to a downed animal. even has a balistic app on the watch.
    but every so often I will pull my cell ph out and turn it on to check out the bigger picture using say nz maps or topo 50 etc.
    on the larger clearer screen I can get a better picture of where I am, how far to go etc. where the side stream I want is, then turn it off and put it away.
    pH battery life with GPS sucks but it's handy as a camera, so those 2 functions justify me carrying it.
    Z

Thanks Guys.

I'll use my phone with NZTopo50 as my primary navigation tool.
    As said, its so easy to read and you can get an overview, plus the zooming from wide area to close up shows landmarks and features just right.

Use of "watch" is to record track and compare my location to previously recorded tracks and waypoints from years back.
    Function in wet is important.
    It should also be more rugged than the phone.
    @Ned , Which maps have you got on your Fenix ? Is it Maptoaster or something ? How easy was it loading it from computer to watch ?

Ned
    Hi I've just got the standard nz topo map through garmin. I've also uploaded all the doc huts and shelters as waypoints from a file someone on this forum pointed me to. Into the garmin explorer portal then synced to the watch. I can look that up for you. Watch will do what you talk about just fine. I haven't used the project waypoint yet as mentioned up thread but that'll certainly be a handy tool. I went to the inreach mini as it links to the fenix 5 watch but pays to switch the notifications off as its a pain being reminded every 10min under bush cover that the inreach unit hasn't been able to send tracking points.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ned. Good to know.
    I haven't used the project waypoint either but can think of time it would have been real useful.
    Had my handheld beeping away a lot saying it had lost contact too until I switched that off !

Rebel sport has fenix 6 watches cheapest at the moment. They're good under foliage and the battery lasts. Im going to sell off my rino now i dont really need it as well

Has anyone dealt with Tony at KiwiGPS more recently? I emailed him last week, but haven't had a response, and recall he was always really prompt when I bought a Garmin off him 12+ years ago. Just wondering if he is actually still operating??