Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Wool or bamboo socks

How many of us wear two pairs of socks to prevent blisters?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Woody would probably wear pansey little nylon ones.
    Ha ha ha ha. I also got into the habit of trimming the worn out heels of holy socks so I could wear them with the upper now the sole in order to extend their useful life. Prevention of blisters becomes a priority if you spend weeks in the bush and streams without getting near civilization. Did'nt often wear pants either; just swannie, belt and underdaks. Keep moving so the damp did'nt make you cold. Morning socks would be stiff from each nights smokeing over the fire and boots always wet.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Mostly washing was in the creeks before starting evening wood cutting and brew up. One time after walking across Hanamahihi flats we found we were covered in ticks / lice. Swannies et al were tied down under the river overnight to get rid of them; a real pissoff cos they were not only wet but cold and heavy next morning. The most embarassing thing was going into chemist when in town to buy clear fingernail polish. Used this to reseal old battered scope when it fogged up. Dried out near fire till fog gone then painted the stuff on around ocular rim to reseal.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Enjoyed all of it actually. There were some very solid people out there and it was challenging to keep up with some of them and interesting learning from their skills. Some good memories and many life lessons learned.
    7mmwsm and Moa Hunter like this.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    No one wears socks going to town in Wanganui
    I have to where socks to town because me feet are to soft to where gumboots without socks 😆

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    I have to where socks to town because me feet are to soft to where gumboots without socks ��
    Cant put an H in Whanganui but can put one in wear
    Moa Hunter and Steelo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Ashburton sock factory has good wool socks.
    Yes, I picked up a couple of pairs of Kuiu socks yesterday from the factory shop. Best value

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Cant put an H in Whanganui but can put one in wear
    If I just keep adding a h in here & there it end up in the right place eventually lol
    7mmwsm and Moa Hunter like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I got some bamboo socks from K Mart a few weeks back. They feel nice to wear and are comfortable but they dry very very slowly.
    I washed them with some other woolen socks and clothes yesterday and put them on the drying rack in the lounge. Fire going and big ceiling fan on. Last night everything was dry (some very thick wool socks included) except the bamboo socks which felt like they had only just come out of the washing machine. They are still more than just damp this morning.
    Yup, this is my finding too. They are absolutely shockers to dry. Comfortable/warm for day hunts, but I wouldn't take them on a multi-day trip.

ive had no trouble with gumboot socks sold at farmlands and rd 1. Renforced in right places. Worn daily from gumboots to boots to shoes or just socks indoors. Get a lot of use. Warm. Wool. Last about 1 to one and half years swapping use around in packet of three. Havent used anthing else in about 10 years. Last lot were about 35 bucks a year ago.
    Steelo likes this.