Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Wool, wool, wool.

I agree, Tahr.

Wearing a woolen garment as an outer layer in wet/windy conditions is plain stupid - but you'd get the exact same results using the synthetic equivalent (fleece). Neither will protect you against the wind.

Wool (or fleece) can be worn as an outer garment in cold/wet conditions...but as soon as the wind gets going, you'll want a parka or poncho over the top to stop the wind cutting through.

As far as wool holding water and gaining weight - that's what you trade for the extra durability and warmth. Synthetics, while lighter and quicker drying, simply won't last as long with heavy use.

Pick your poison based on your intended use. Neither is right or wrong.
    Last edited by Frodo; 20-08-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I agree, Tahr.

Wearing a woolen garment as an outer layer in wet/windy conditions is plain stupid - but you'd get the exact same results using the synthetic equivalent (fleece). Neither will protect you against the wind.

Wool (or fleece) can be worn as an outer garment in cold/wet conditions...but as soon as the wind gets going, you'll want a parka or poncho over the top to stop the wind cutting through.

As far as wool holding water and gaining weight - that's what you trade for the extra durability and warmth. Synthetics, while lighter and quicker drying, simply won't last as long with heavy use.

Pick your poison based on your intended use. Neither is right or wrong.
    Try 'wind stopper fleece' its great in the wind.....ive got a beanie, jacket, bottoms and gloves....love the stuff
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The best price I received was $7.40. 32 years ago. The wool industry needs a kick up the arse - they have served farmers poorly. They have gone nowhere in the 40 odd years since the wool board was disestablished, and now I see there is talk of going back to that centralised model.

And as an aside, in the worst of NZ conditions Swandri's are death traps. Terrible damned things. Heavy and soggy. Never dry out and the wind cuts through them like a knife turning your body into the contents of an insulated fridge.

When people exhort wool for hunting in they should say what they are comparing it with and how they are using it. Layering with good synthetics with a wind shield as an outer is hard to beat.
    I only wear my swanni at camp, next to the fire, otherwise my fleece would 'light me up'......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt