Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: work sharp knife sharpener

That Worksharp "sharpener" is definitely a grinder. Looks horribly like a linisher, and I imagine it is good for profiling a blade, but will not put the fine edge on it that you would need.
    If you had a number of knives that needed re-profiling, it might be a good place to start by allowing you to get 90% of the way to a finished edge in a hurry.

Personally, I'm quite a fan of the harder blade steels. Have VG-10 on the chef knife, and D2 tool steel on the folder. The folder does about 500 rabbits before getting a sharpen, and the chefs knife gets a yearly sharpen if it needs it or not. Maintenance during the year is with a ceramic steel, and sharpening is using diamond stones of various grits. I used to use normal abrasive stones, but that took ages to get the finish I was after.
    Puffin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    For years I used nothing but a black handled boning knife for hunting, from the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly the same as me, can be used for everything. Sticking, boning, slicing, filleting. Start off with a nicely stoned edge and a few strokes on a super fine (smooth) steel and you're back in business.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    That Worksharp "sharpener" is definitely a grinder. Looks horribly like a linisher, and I imagine it is good for profiling a blade, but will not put the fine edge on it that you would need.
    If you had a number of knives that needed re-profiling, it might be a good place to start by allowing you to get 90% of the way to a finished edge in a hurry.

Personally, I'm quite a fan of the harder blade steels. Have VG-10 on the chef knife, and D2 tool steel on the folder. The folder does about 500 rabbits before getting a sharpen, and the chefs knife gets a yearly sharpen if it needs it or not. Maintenance during the year is with a ceramic steel, and sharpening is using diamond stones of various grits. I used to use normal abrasive stones, but that took ages to get the finish I was after.
    I find that with the very fine belt that puts a realy good edge on my knives & they seen to hold it for a good length of time

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I used a Lansbury man that was slow. I also use one of those Sea Harvester Electric ones and use one of my dads (who was a butcher) FDick steels. Quick as and the edge will quite easily shave your arm or cut tomatoes real easy. Simple and adequate.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"