Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Would you like a cup off coffee? I asked.......

unused fuel?????I used a maverick bourbon can...same size as redbull....and kept making it shorter untill got the fuel capacity right for a 750ml boil....but mine is more simple version than yours...just two can bases inside each other with holes in top one,3 in centre for fuel in,covered with coin and numerous tiny holes around top rim to allow gas out....it fits inside folder hexicooker so about an inch high.
    Hewie and mopheadrob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    I know this was supposed to be about beer can stoves, but it has evolved into back country coffee making equipment and that's something I'm pretty passionate about, so I'm running with it. Here's my 5c worth.

I'm an unapologetic coffee snob. I run a La Pavoni single boiler espresso machine at home, only because I can't afford an E61 group head yet (one day!). I've tried all sorts in the bush, and lugged an Alessi stovetop around for years - they are a thing of beauty, but the weight-to-coffee-output ratio is ridiculous. Then I came across the Swiss Gold pour-over filter:

Attachment 136078

This thing makes a way better coffee than a plunger and weighs 83g. Ground coffee goes in the section with the gold mesh, and holes in the second section control the flow of hot water through the grinds. The first section has a flange so the coffee drips directly into your cup, like so:

Attachment 136080

Only drawback for me is the size - I'm even more picky about my gear being compact than the weight. So I made this bit of kit, based on a Chemex filter and using plastic containers from Bargain Box:

Attachment 136081

A smaller container holds 2 days worth of ground coffee and the whole thing fits together like this:

Attachment 136082

And just to get this thread back on track, here's the beer can stove I made with my daughter last week as a lockdown project. It won't replace my Pocket Rocket in the bush because it's so messy emptying the un-used fuel, but it was a bit of fun.

Attachment 136083
    I'd like to be a coffee snob (I do like coffee and I know a coffee guy @akaroa1 ) but I can't visualize how your homebuilt setup works above the filter ??
    mopheadrob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    mine is more simple version than yours...just two can bases inside each other with holes in top one,3 in centre for fuel in,covered with coin and numerous tiny holes around top rim to allow gas out....it fits inside folder hexicooker so about an inch high.
    AKA ‘penny stove’. Yeah, I was tempted to try that one, but reckoned it wouldn’t be long before I lost the coin. I also want the ability to cook for different lengths of time without having to refill & relight.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post

They just taste like chemical crap to me.
    Some of them are very nice tasting chemical crap. But they do lack the authenticity of real "barrista made from quality beans" type of coffee.
    Micky Duck and mopheadrob like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Ok I'll go next.
    Heres my alcohol stove... This variety is called a Cat stove. Graduated from an Esbit as I found them too big and the set up too heavy.
    i have a tin of beans next to it for comparison. This is my everyday cuppa and meal prep if I am in the bush. If I am in a hut i use whatever is in there
    30 mils of meths will boil 500 mils of water in a bout 5 mins...... with no noise! you'd be surpirised what comes along while you are quietly waiting for the billy to boil.

There is room for tea bags or whatever floats your boat. Even more so if you take out the blanket and first aid stuff.
    The baby food pouch holds about 100 mils of meths. Hasnt leaked yet and is a few years old now.

Name:  IMG_4751.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  2.16 MB

Name:  IMG_4752.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  2.24 MB

Name:  IMG_4753.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  2.45 MB

Name:  IMG_4754.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  2.40 MB

Name:  IMG_4755.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  2.35 MB

Name:  IMG_4756.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  2.12 MB

Hi @johnd what’s the total weight? This is a cool thread and I’m loving it.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Baby food pouch, fantastic. This is a cool thread and loving it too. neat wind shield.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    AKA ‘penny stove’. Yeah, I was tempted to try that one, but reckoned it wouldn’t be long before I lost the coin. I also want the ability to cook for different lengths of time without having to refill & relight.
    With practice you learn exactly how much you need to put in first up - there is a trick mod the usual penny cooker mob don't use to eliminate the "penny" - last one I made I fitted a 5mm rivenut to, instead of holes in the top - take out the bolt and you have your intake, for that I have a small syringe, squirt in what you need and refit the bolt and light her up. Unless you've got something more important to do at the mo, make one, even if only for shits and giggles!
    mopheadrob and RUMPY like this.

+1 on the baby food pouch & wind shield, @johnd. Yes @mimms2, that does look similar. Because it was coffee o'clock, I videoed my DIY chemex just for you @Tentman! Apologies for the lack of editing, it's pretty dull viewing...

Now I'm all out of coffee, and can't go out for more cos the missus is waiting on the results of a Covid-19 test. Very jealous of @akaroa1's stash of green beans right now.
    Hewie likes this.

Oh - I see now, limit the speed of "flow" at the bottom - simple but clever. Coffee is an essential, you can order it to be delivered!!

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    Baby food pouch, fantastic. This is a cool thread and loving it too. neat wind shield.
    I tried one of these Batch 10 whiskys.
    https://batch10.com/products/manuka-...ky-200ml-pouch
    They appear to be using the same pouch.
    Did the job.
    Pity I didn't keep it.
    Must hit up the young guys at work as they are breeding.
    Mind you between me and a mate only a couple shots each.

All up as it was in the photo including the 10 M of spectra cord and 100 mils of meths, it clocks in at 510 grams. Sitting in its bag as well.

The wind shield is a piece of oven tray liner with a stud dome attached.

I always site it on a piece of tinfoil to contain possible spills and as a barrier for heat reflection ( every bit helps ).

The Cat stove uses a thin shield inside the cat food tin to capilary the boiling meths vapour up to the ports around the rim. The mug sits over the mouth and if the meths isnt at temp it will smother the flames initially, hence the modified pot grip so you can lower it slowly.
    There has been many dubious looks from guys when I fire it up and boil water for two people.
    @mopheadrob there is a mod where guys drill a nipple hole into the side and add a silcon tube to a small bottle so you can keep feeding the fire, but it was more detail than I need as I only want to boil water for drinks or Dehyds
    Last edited by johnd; 13-04-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Moa Hunter and 2post like this.

@RUMPY come along ol bean show the lads your groovy set up Mate.

I’ve made a few they are fun to make, handy for a brew up the river or on the hill.

Name:  31668CEC-BEFC-4254-87BB-A87817A54257.jpeg
Views: 236
Size:  654.6 KB
    Micky Duck, 2post and RUMPY like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Ok I'll go next.
    Heres my alcohol stove... This variety is called a Cat stove. Graduated from an Esbit as I found them too big and the set up too heavy.
    i have a tin of beans next to it for comparison. This is my everyday cuppa and meal prep if I am in the bush. If I am in a hut i use whatever is in there
    30 mils of meths will boil 500 mils of water in a bout 5 mins...... with no noise! you'd be surpirised what comes along while you are quietly waiting for the billy to boil.

There is room for tea bags or whatever floats your boat. Even more so if you take out the blanket and first aid stuff.
    The baby food pouch holds about 100 mils of meths. Hasnt leaked yet and is a few years old now.

Attachment 136103

Attachment 136104

Attachment 136105

Attachment 136106

Attachment 136108

Attachment 136109
    Awesome set up man