Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 20g lead ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    About time too ,why should 20g be exempt ? Seems like double standards to me.
    Perhaps because the 12 rule is a crock with no evidence or proof?
    Grim, Bulltahr, Wirehunt and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I love duckshooting. But its not what it was in my time which is bad my times is only a few years ago. Thats how fast its chaning.
    Exactly I'm a late starter as well 8 9 yrs and its all changed big time less ducks more rules about the only thing the same is license fees
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    about the only thing the same is license fees
    That'll bloody go up too

Maybe they will go up, cause there will be alot more guys giving it up. Less birds, more cost. F that.............
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

R93

20g lead ban.

Just a troll post to start an argument Cam.
    If people really felt that way it would only confirm the unreasonable and selfish attitudes in changing things in the first place.
    My major problem with it is, what will they fuckup or take off us next?
    Too many fuckheads given authority to bring change for change sake IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

No not at all Dave.
    I just have never seen any evidence or proof of bird poisoning or waterway poisoning by lead shot.
    The gauge thing is a crock, either its bad or its not. Weather its from a 12 or a 410 makes no difference.
    And if it is bad show us some hard evidence.
    I dont even shoot ducks/geese and as such see myself as an impartial observer, you may see me as otherwise?
    I dont intentionally stir shit here or anywhere else.
    I just dont like bureaucracy changing the way we do things for the worse with no measurable gain.

If thier is any positive to come out of the non toxic its probably the denser than lead stuff that has been developed,If you can afford to shoot it.

I dont "troll" anything looking to start a shit fight(none has started from that post?)

Dave if you think Im a "Troll" feel free to block me from this section or any other.

Im passionate about all hunting(even if its not "my thing") and the kiwi way of life.
    Maca49 and Duxbac like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93

20g lead ban.

Sorry Cam! There was a fuck up in my post. It was not targeted at you I totally agree with you.
    I quoted the post you did and for some reason it fucked up? To me I reckon that was a post trolling for an argument.
    I didn't check it after I posted, my bad.
    I'm not a mod anymore either. I resigned that privilege for employment and other reasons.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Friggin phone! I still have no decent Internet so stuck on my phone.

Last edited by R93; 19-02-2013 at 12:06 AM.

I'm with you Cam, but the real reason they went away from lead is easy to see. Much easier poking the finger at everyone else polluting the waterways if you look like you've done your bit first. The way I look at it anyway. Can't say that I've looked at the history, or anything really, but suspect it would have gone along the line of, "They found lead pellets inside some birds, ... that they shot with lead." Voila, justification.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    About time too ,why should 20g be exempt ? Seems like double standards to me.
    Nice shit stir Chris, but I'm applying a good coverage of lead everywhere.
    It will be rather interesting to see any F&G roasters this year, I'll be running the cunts off for getting in the road of the far more serious pest destruction.....

AND if they try and preach any fucking bullshit about it they will be in for a fright. Pest work goes over the whole place.
    Bulltahr likes this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    1oz of lead in a 12g ( like my Mrs shoots) and 1oz in a 20g is 1oz of lead going ----------------> that way, regardless of how its delivered.

I believe the whole steel shot thing right from the choke 'issues' through to lack of killing and reasoning for 20g to be kept on lead is a crock based simply around the price of lead a few years ago.
    There are so many fingers in pies and internal influences around NZ in the F&G and DOC as just 2 examples, that ulterior motives simply cant be dismissed.
    The Sth Island is rife with it in many areas

R93
    Your right Matt the whole thing is a crock and hypocritical.
    You can still pump the same amount of lead with a 20 as you can a 12.
    Choking on a whole is a joke as well within reason. I use half and half or tighter with ounce loads for sporting and skeet and only open them up for piece of mind in skeet competitions.

There is way too many contradictory results around the world in regards to the science for lead ingestion in dabbling birds.
    There is nothing set in concrete either.
    I think it is widely accepted that steel does not kill as well as lead outside 35-40 yards regardless of shot size.
    Even pro steel advocates, acknowledge the fact by preaching a change in hunting tactics etc.
    To me, shooting decoying birds lacks any challenge in regards to shotgunning and is friggin boring, and not why I like hunting waterfowl.
    I like to use a shotgun for what it was intended.
    I still chase the odd duck but with no where near the passion I did a few yrs ago.
    I am only interested lately for my kids sake.
    I no longer have a dog to pursue upland game which I favour above all else.
    However after contacting my local ranger I see there will be no ban on lead in 20g on the coast this yr at least so I am happy for now.

Ejected
    Interestingly water quality would be a FAR bigger issue than a bit of lead in the water for any birds. Why doesn't f&g go after that with a bit more vigour......

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Interestingly water quality would be a FAR bigger issue than a bit of lead in the water for any birds. Why doesn't f&g go after that with a bit more vigour......
    Because that wont get whoevers doing it access to the landlocked DOC land with the lodge beside it....

If anyone is interested, there is a thoughtful article in the Sept/Oct issue (issue 132) of NZ Guns and Hunting from Neil Hayes, on the "Demise of the North Island mallard". He has some interesting theories around steel shot and the subsequent increase in crippling from about 7% with lead, to around 50% with steel. If that is true, then there are a hell of a lot more unrecovered ducks dying each year, and may go some way towards explaining the decrease in numbers - particularly where populations are relatvely low anyway.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Waikato is a 3 round max now also

Newsbrief December 2012 | Auckland / Waikato