Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Lentil
  • 3 Post By The bomb

Thread: Canada decoys to black swans

Canada decoys to black swans

Have six older canada floaters that need a bit of a tidy up. It occurred to me that we could paint them black with an orange beak and call it a swan. Lots of swans around here and only the occasional canada, so swans are more realistic in the decoy spread.

Anyone ever done this? The decoys aren't quite big enough and necks a bit short - does that matter?
    Would it be a waste of good canada deks?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Years ago I bought 6 super magnum duck decoys and painted them as Canada's. Have worked great for about 20 years. Because birds have their eyes in the side of their head, they dont see things as we do, they have little depth perception, consequently the size of your decoys doesnt really matter except at distance. Once birds are within calling distance I would think that the ducks aint gonna shy away cos your swan decoy has a short neck. And pretty sure once the swans have seen your spread and are coming for a look then a short neck decoy wont matter either. Its the colour that is most important.
    Dama dama likes this.

I did two of my goose floaters as swans last season..you want RED/PINK beak not orange.....they slightly shorter neck but didnt seem to put birds off..I guess if you put a couple of SMALLISH mallards just down wind of them it will look more natural too. the two decoys I painted never quite looked right as geese as had really curved necks like town park white swans...
    Dama dama likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Did four with blackboard paint. And a few ducks, some of which will get white heads. Thanks @Micky Duck, beak colour noted, will get a test pot next day or two.
    Name:  20240427_181704.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  472.0 KB
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

yeah nah bro..DONT paint head white..just a wee bit on the side flank..male parrie...paint head white on a couple of mallard hens and add white bit on flank..the hens are chestnut brown...resene hairy heath is perfect for them go grab a test pot.black beak for them
    Dama dama likes this.

Yes, matte black spray paint and red beak if you feel the need, works well.

I used Rustoleum matte black spray paint on swan decoys (must be matte finish). I have used swan decoys as attractants for ducks for over 20 years. The short necks on old canada geese decoys don't matter. Keep your swan decoys a bit away from your duck decoys, and upwind if possible, so the ducks don't have to fly over them on their approach. Works for me.
    I rarely shoot swans, but my son shoots a few. But then again, he would eat roadkill!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  1.36 MBmy magnum mallard to Canada goose conversion,swan to goose should work just as well and easy to convert back with couple of rattle cans from Bunnings.
    Dama dama, Micky Duck and Billbob like this.

Years ago I had Punga log parrie decoys that size,worked a treat out in paddocks

Ive made both swan silloheutes and a couple of floaters .got a couple of kids polystine body boards from the echo centre her in chch and with a few beers judicoius use of hacksaw was able to make two passable floaters bodies black with white wing flashes ands red beak with white accents.they seem to work judging by my mirth at swans doing mr beans on them two floaters gone now buggered if i know where so it may be time to repeat the task!