Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: the cover your dog hunts

I took my wife on her honey moon trout fishing behind Poronui -the station manager had Chris pick us up at the gate and drop us off at the back of the farm and then he picked us up 3 days later -we were just using DOC land so most impressed with that and them for their generosity.
    I went back to Chris house and saw his dogs with much excitement as I had never seen working Brittanys ever in NZ and had previously read a bit about them .Has Chris gone to the big bush block in the sky?
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

The majority of the most productive hunting I do is in cutover. I do a lot in a wide variety of terrains though.

The ideal cover is the kind that lets you keep an eye on your dog at all times but holds birds. Fortunately with Quin especially, he'll hold his birds for however long it takes so him getting out of sight isn't a real concern.

This is one of my favorite places to hunt because of the conditions for running the dogs.

hers some different types of cover I hunt in

EeeBees likes this.

my favorite grounds -Z place .If I we had grounds like this all over NZ on mas we would have far more dog people for sure as its a most enjoyable walk and hunt

Chris was indeed a good mate of mine and we ran our dogs together on Poronui for some time. We usually used his brittany's in the open crops and areas and the springers in the heavier cover. (They were not EB's) They were, although from Australia, to all intents and purposes American brittany's). I was a senior guide on Poronui (Flyfishing and Pheasants) on Poronui most of my adult life. (Pheasants were a very late edition and largely gone now.)

I personally really only rated his imported Bitch "Lace", his lack of good blood to use for sires i think watered down the line a little, but still very useful dogs. Yes Chris has left us sadly. I have great memories of hunting and having a few drinks with him. A passionate guy and an awesome artist. I donated a very nice trophy of a springer flushing a pheasant to the Working Spaniel Club which he carved out of a single piece of deer Antler.
    Name:  S3000014.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  285.5 KB
    Name:  IM001058.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  605.8 KB
    Name:  nigel 013.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  778.8 KB

RIP Mate, you were a top bloke!

yep , Chris was a good bloke .I remember after three days on the river bank camping and my wife had had enough .Karina had not long been in New Zealand and we married 4 months later and took her on one of my adventures for her honeymoon -I am a tight prick

I fly fished while she watched and landed what I thought was a perfect caught fish .A long cast to a dark spot on the other side of the river with a dry fly , an amazing strike and a landed fish -soooo stoked until I noted the fish some how had foul hooked through the back area .

Anyways the rain set in and the wife was about had it with her new NZ outdoor experience having to carry a pack rather than a hand bag for a few hundred meters to the spot where we would be picked up to be taken back to go back to our car at the entrance of Poronui -then Chris arrived in the truck and all was smiles and thanks --Ill post a couple of pics of the trip !!! RIP Chris and great efforts pal with your vigils against 10/80

great photos to Ruff -thanks for sharing !!
    Last edited by el borracho; 13-11-2012 at 10:01 AM.