Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree4642Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

The first time you hunt chukar it is for adventure.

After that, revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    I think simmer Pukeko with sauerkraut ( do `t if you can find in major supermarket, but sizable Chinese shop should have) may do better. I do `t have chance for this year, hope somebody may give it a try.
    id sooner drop my wedding tackle in a gin trap.
    two horrible bits of crap i,l never eat again.
    bloody cabbage and and eel bait yuk

Tony from Cazador restaurant has a good recipe for pukeko, essentially splitting the breasts and putting pesto inside before a very quick trip through the frying pan.

I like them. OTOH, I also like parries - which common knowledge has as being inedible. It seems a lot of the "inedible" comments come from people who cook like my grandparents did, including boiling vegetables until they were safe for consumption...

My only complaint on pukes is the size of the meat portions, and the number of sinews making the legs almost impossible to deal with.

Puke pie is good. As is pook casarole. Totally under rated but just a bit fiddly with small meat recoveryName:  20220530_092841.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  1.70 MB
    Ross Nolan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nitram View Post
    Attachment 204291
    Attachment 204292

After 2 days and 30kms we finally got one on the ground.
    @nitram what did you think of Scout?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    @nitram what did you think of Scout?
    Scout was awesome. She nailed the point on these two awesome dog and covered the miles!
    Pointer likes this.

Joe might convert you yet
    nitram likes this.

A couple of roosters dug out of the willows and gorse, plus a peahen.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

A few BOP roosters to wrap up the season with the old man and my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a good day, "big boy" with little boy. Nice
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    A couple of roosters dug out of the willows and gorse, plus a peahen.
    Something with side by side. it just pulls the strings of heart.

Been getting a few birds this season, in Canada, missed the ducks migration in this area due to work and holiday, so been out for upland several times a week while off, ruffles, spruce and sharp-tail grouse in this area, yesterday sharp-tail hunt came home with whitetail doe, taken with a 20ga slug, at 40 paces. Name:  IMG_1382.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  5.79 MB sharptail.
    Name:  IMG_1342.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  9.01 MB mixed bag, one of each grouse, Buffel head duck and a emacied goose, that couldn't make the migration. little dogs a bit of a savage on upland birds, doesnt care for ducks.

Name:  IMG_1369.JPG
Views: 451
Size:  4.19 MB grouse breasts, ruffles are white, shaptail on the right side of the plate and on bench, spruce on the left side of plate, ruffles and sharptail are very good, spruce can be a bit gamey,
    Name:  IMG_1384.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  7.13 MB seen a Whitetail deer threw the scrub, had time to put in slugs in the 20ga, a doe with two yearling's, left the doe and took the second yearling as the crossed a small creek, clean kill, right threw the lungs heart, breaking the shoulder, on the way out. 2nd yearling stopped and debated taking it, mom then stopped at about 50m and snorted at us, could have shot all three with the rifle, sitting in the truck 500m away, Girlfriend was with us, took a day off due to sore shoulder, and we were exploring a new area for grouse. been a good week, got a grouse or two 3 days out of 4, and a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Tony from Cazador restaurant has a good recipe for pukeko, essentially splitting the breasts and putting pesto inside before a very quick trip through the frying pan.

I like them. OTOH, I also like parries - which common knowledge has as being inedible. It seems a lot of the "inedible" comments come from people who cook like my grandparents did, including boiling vegetables until they were safe for consumption...

My only complaint on pukes is the size of the meat portions, and the number of sinews making the legs almost impossible to deal with.
    my step, father was a army cook make rabbitt taste like best fillet even swan was good in his hands but even he couldnt make kahawai or puke edible

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Attachment 208527 grouse breasts, ruffles are white, shaptail on the right side of the plate and on bench, spruce on the left side of plate, ruffles and sharptail are very good, spruce can be a bit gamey,
    Attachment 208528 seen a Whitetail deer threw the scrub, had time to put in slugs in the 20ga, a doe with two yearling's, left the doe and took the second yearling as the crossed a small creek, clean kill, right threw the lungs heart, breaking the shoulder, on the way out. 2nd yearling stopped and debated taking it, mom then stopped at about 50m and snorted at us, could have shot all three with the rifle, sitting in the truck 500m away, Girlfriend was with us, took a day off due to sore shoulder, and we were exploring a new area for grouse. been a good week, got a grouse or two 3 days out of 4, and a deer.
    I love all grouse, and I don't mind one bit that spruce can taste like spruce, and that sage hen can taste like sage.

I'm still s sharptail virgin at 75 and was going to have my cherry broken this season, but FJB and his recession changed my fortunes.

Really Like the photos! Thanks for sharing.

L2S
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”