Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: Game Bird Hunting Nelson / Tasman

Game Bird Hunting Nelson / Tasman

Hi All you top of the south Game Bird hunters,

Just wondering what the upland game bird hunting is like around the Nelson and Tasman region, I have had a look at Fish and Game website and it looks like there are a few balloted blocks available as well as Forestry Permitted blocks.

What would the numbers of Pheasants be like on those blocks or is mainly quail and are there better options on private land? (door knocking, or marring off the first born daughter to a farmer)...

Also in general terms whats the duck situation like, lots of estuary's and tidal zones so would think there should be good duck hunting?

Hopefully will be down in the area for next season, likely to be season after by the time I have a trained dog ready to go, don't currently have a bird dog and my current cattle dog Koolie wouldnt retrive a duck, likely to flush and find quail/pheasants but cant see her fetching a bird..

For me I get the most enjoyment from hunting over a dog, training it and watching it pull of good solid find and point and those hard retrieves and spending time on the ponds, creeks and scrub with family and dogs.

Pictures from about 12 years ago when I was last gamebird hunting over here in the Naki. Missing it

Name:  yasmin and duck.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  366.8 KB

Name:  jade duck.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  252.3 KB

Cheers FBD

Pheasants are there but you will work hard to find them, you will need a good dog. Quail aplenty in the forestry blocks. F&G are very proactive.
    They will organise block booking on your behalf.
    They also hold annual Pook shoots and arrange to close 1/2 of Rabbit island for 3 mornings per season for balloted hunting.
    The best public pheasant hunting area now has fishing ponds and cycleways going thru it so you can guess how easy it is to hunt now..........................................
    Fat belly Dog likes this.

Thanks Mikee,

yeah bikes and kids trout fishing dont mix to well with shotguns. Might drop F&G an e-mail and see what they have to say.

A good dog is the goal, had one in my last Weimaraner, he had plenty of hunt drive which was great for birds but not so great on deer. How is you dog progressing?

Cheers FBD

Their limits are pretty low ...so that indicates the numbers are too. There is better chance on quail.... ps dogs love quail. Check out your gamebird booklet for details.