Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Interesting Way To Hunt Turkeys

Banned
    Our turks are descended from European farmed stock so have generations of domestication bred into them. The American turks have been food for predators for millenia so have an inbuilt survival ability to rank up there with the wariest of the wary.

But they learn fast - like peafowl.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

Our NZ stock anywhere I've shot them (hardly can call it hunting) tend to be poor quality. Grew up on a dairy farm where they were just a bloody nuisance. These days I cull them for a couple of farmers who hate them, big numbers foul the pasture. And they carry coccidiosis which infects young stock. To cull them just find where they roost, take a 12g pump, a mate with a bright lantern and pockets full of rounds. I took 50 cartridges once and shot 45 on a dark night, half on the roost half in the air. Approximately. Fast and furious as quick as I could thumb shells in and work tge action. Shoulder blue 'n black for a couple of weeks. Too quick to seat butt properly lol.

They also make great practice live targets for 200m to 350m deer rifle. My 270Win turns them into feather dusters
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Snap 4T View Post
    Some people eat them, my mates hunt them on my farm.
    they told me the month ending with "...ber" is not good (too many worms).

I assume Americans eat Turkey at Thanksgiving.
    dont shoot them to eat in any month with an R in it oct nov dec breeding and skinny January February tainted often by a cricket diet - but get a fat young one in may they are good
    Danny, Micky Duck, Jhon and 2 others like this.

I love Turkey hunting in America. The Tom’s here don’t get to be Toms by being stupid. It is an art to be able to call them in from afar. New hunters often times call too often which tips off the Toms. They can also get “hung up” just outside of shotgun range if something seems amiss.

The turkey’s vision is arguably better than human’s. They can pick-up an off colour or a movement from a good distance.

As noted earlier, bobcats, mountain lions, coyotes, wolves, bears, wolverines, and every other carnivore wants turkey on the menu. They can be very weary. In fact, one has to set up a blind at least a week in advance of opening otherwise the Toms will steer clear if it.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve123 and MB like this.
    If you learn to laugh at yourself, you will never be left unamused.

LOL wow that's ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Jake77 View Post
    Had the chance to go turkey hunting in Ontario, I reckon the ones we have running round NZ must be some dumbed down domestic stock as these buggers were super cagey and ran or flew at the first hint of trouble. There is a reason turkey hunters over there go hard with camo and elaborate blinds. The guys I were with didn’t believe we used to catch them by hand as kids by running them into a corner of a fence or lassoing them off their perch by spotlight with a bamboo pole and loop of wire.
    A friend's Mrs got sick of the shit on top of gates and asked him if he'd remove them. Sure when I get time was the answer. Time passes, he comes in after dark one night there are 6 headless turkeys on the back step. Armed with a headlamp and hedge clippers she had done it herself.
    Ned and Jake77 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Their stupidity is their best defense. To dumb to die
    Funny you say that. I control turkeys in place I work on n soon as they see me or grey vehicle they tend to scarper PDQ…. Day and night time

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Funny you say that. I control turkeys in place I work on n soon as they see me or grey vehicle they tend to scarper PDQ…. Day and night time

Maybe it's time to make one of those turkey blinds

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Agreed, even losing half their head to 22LR doesn't seem to make a any difference!
    Great training for snap shooting, find them in crop, find a fence post and when a head appears for a few seconds, try to wack it. Great way to waste a heap of ammo
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Great training for snap shooting, find them in crop, find a fence post and when a head appears for a few seconds, try to wack it. Great way to waste a heap of ammo
    I'm liking the idea of hiding behind a cardboard cutout, calling them in then popping up and blamming away with the shotty more and more. It does look like fun.