Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Lead in .410 vs steel in 20

hehe i remember someguy saying the 410 was ok on geese you just lead the head like a quail
    if your that good a slingshot would do you im not,
    but i did use trap 7,s on night ponds to good effect on ducks .
    with a great dog if i was less than bang on.
    i just figured at those failing light ranges steel trap loads speed wouldnt be such a factor.
    given most of the ones ive seen in both gauges[20/12] were a ounce of steel 5,s

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    hehe i remember someguy saying the 410 was ok on geese you just lead the head like a quail
    i just figured at those failing light ranges steel trap loads speed wouldnt be such a factor.
    i speak as one who leads quail like they are quail and reguly miss,s
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    an once of steel #5s is different kettle of fish to steel #7-8s for same reasons as with lead..... but if going to once of steel #5s you may as well have velocity on your side......I like #2s for everything even up close,I do not get many pellets in flesh,they have gone right through and exited.unless its silly close you dont get any more damage than with smaller shot,arguably less holes of bigger size.
    2 seasons ago I reflex shot a mallard hen taking off from under my feet at about 5 yards....and still ate her....didnt need knife n fork to pull that one apart LOL.
    wad was inside body!!!
    gsp follower likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    an once of steel #5s is different kettle of fish to steel #7-8s for same reasons as with lead..... but if going to once of steel #5s you may as well have velocity on your side......I like #2s for everything even up close,I do not get many pellets in flesh,they have gone right through and exited.unless its silly close you dont get any more damage than with smaller shot,arguably less holes of bigger size.
    2 seasons ago I reflex shot a mallard hen taking off from under my feet at about 5 yards....and still ate her....didnt need knife n fork to pull that one apart LOL.
    wad was inside body!!!
    wad shot a goose once poor bastard didnt know what hit it.
    Micky Duck likes this.