Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: No more Duckshooting??

So does this mean that anyone in possession of steel shot for a shotgun is breaking the law

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    So does this mean that anyone in possession of steel shot for a shotgun is breaking the law
    Colfo advice = yes

F&G advice = no

who to believe
    veitnamcam and xtightg like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Colfo advice = yes

F&G advice = no

who to believe
    COLFO have they advice of a lawyer interpreting the law. F&G have the advice of the Police. Enough said Mikee. F&G only think they are right.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

yeah well its all because the muppets in charge rushed everything through and tried to get absolutely everything on the coppers and anti gun wish list. Tried to be generic when it suited and specific when it suited but usually cocked it up either way.
    Yes in reality steel shot from a shotgun has less range than the lead equivalent and definitely doesn't have more effective penetrative qualities at least on game.
    will have to see if common-sense prevails. At least it does show to some of the fudds out there how far reaching this all is.
    Whilst I did do the odd close range experiment with shotguns many moons ago (lead) it does punch big holes in things if it is still retained in the wad. I haven't done it with steel but suggest it would be similar.

STOP PRESS

Plod has now found his box of crayons and issued a denial that steel shot in 12 gauge or lead in 22 is "naughty.. Because , as sadly is becoming too common, the link in his scribble returns this....

"Page not found

The requested page "/node/58551" could not be found"

I have copied his jottings and paste them below for your delight and amusement..........

"Police confirm types of ammunition allowed for recreational hunters"

NZ Police wish to clarify that cartridges filled with steel or lead shot are not prohibited. They may still be used under the Arms (Prohibited Ammunition) Order 2019 as shotgun cartridges are specifically excluded from the prohibition order.
    Duck shooters and other hunters can continue to use cartridges filled with lead or steel shot.
    For more information, the order can be found here:

Arms (Prohibited Ammunition) Order 2019 (LI 2019/137) Schedule Ammunition declared prohibited ammunition – New Zealand Legislation

This week an amendment to the Firearms Prohibition order confirmed that shot cartridges fired from low calibre rimfire firearms are also not prohibited.

Often referred to as Birdshot, these cartridges are used in the killing of small pest species where the use of poison is unsafe.
    Police can confirm that enhanced penetrating ammunition with a steel or tungsten carbide penetrator is prohibited as it penetrates body armour and helmets and has no legitimate civilian use.

Duck shooting cartridges do not fall within this definition.

ENDS
    Issued by Police Media Centre.

You can also view this release, including any additional images, online at: http://www.police.govt.nz/node/58551

Thanks,
    New Zealand Police"

STOP PRESS #2

Looks like Plod's box of crayons was a new box as this arrived 9 minutes after the first...........

Media note: A previous version of this release referred to the Firearms Prohibition Order.
    This was incorrect.
    It should have referred to the Arms (Prohibited Ammunition) Order.
    You can also view this release, including any additional images, online at: http://www.police.govt.nz/news/relea...tional-hunters
    Thanks,
    New Zealand Police

Name:  ammo.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  134.1 KB

Exclusion for shutgun ammunition under multi projectile ammo and sabot ammo...Still cant see one under enhanced penetrating/armor piercing ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    STOP PRESS #2

Looks like Plod's box of crayons was a new box as this arrived 9 minutes after the first...........

Media note: A previous version of this release referred to the Firearms Prohibition Order.
    This was incorrect.
    You can also view this release, including any additional images, online at: http://www.police.govt.nz/news/relea...tional-hunters
    Thanks,
    New Zealand Police
    Thanks I went to the Police site through the link and read what was there and then bounced off that and went to the link for the order 2019 and for the life of me I could not find the exclusion for shotgun cartridges they speak of. I am often accused by my missus of having domestic blindness so maybe I also have Order 2019 blindness. If you fellahs can find it let me know where it is.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    STOP PRESS #2

This was incorrect.
    Thanks,
    New Zealand Police
    Thanks I went to the Police site through the link and read what was there and then bounced off that and went to the link for the order 2019 and for the life of me I could not find the exclusion for shotgun cartridges they speak of. I am often accused by my missus of having domestic blindness so maybe I also have Order 2019 blindness. If you fellahs can find it let me know where it is. Failing that I reckon the Police are just making shit up.
    upnorth uplander likes this.

i really dont think the police hierachy or the government have a clue what they are doing !
    its beyond a joke and unfortunately at our expense
    57jl likes this.

I can see the headlines...."40,000 dogs to go for euthanasia as they are no bloody use anymore"

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Yes, I think the intent of the Bill is steel cored rifle projectiles (think armour piercing) but its getting mileage as there is potential, maybe, to apply this to steel shot. F&G has openly put this on their FB page but, it appears as a bit of a dig at COLFO which again has F&G appearing to be looking at the small picture again and only supporting their guys and not all LFAO.
    tungsten or tungsten iron shot maybe cos tungsten is a part of armour piercing ammo not as good as deplete uranium but hell in a pinch it,l do
    shit most steel wont even penetrate birds reliably let alone armour.
    best thing would be F&G to bring back lead shot. as the law stands yes steel is banned maybe unintentionally but it is still illegal even though the coppers say they wont prosecute you for using it maybe , but if it suits i wouldnt put it past them to backtrack and use this to get at a few people.
    yes to rely on the polices god graces would be foolish.
    still I don't see shot mentioned specificly am I to use my 20 gauge as a softball bat instead of shooting it?
    Last edited by gsp follower; 18-10-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    Attachment 122193

Exclusion for shutgun ammunition under multi projectile ammo and sabot ammo...Still cant see one under enhanced penetrating/armor piercing ammunition.
    Shotshells did not need excluding from the first 6 categories in that Order because, by their physical nature, they met none of those criteria. They did need to be specifically excluded from the last two, because they use a wad/sabot, and are multi-projectile.

COLFO actually wasted some of our contribution money paying some dickwhacker lawyer to challenge this part of the Order, as there was actually no problem with it relative to shotshells, as anyone with sufficient knowledge of English, and shotshell construction would realise.

Lawyers are supposed to receive instructions, not give them.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Shotshells did not need excluding from the first 6 categories in that Order because, by their physical nature, they met none of those criteria. They did need to be specifically excluded from the last two, because they use a wad/sabot, and are multi-projectile.

COLFO actually wasted some of our contribution money paying some dickwhacker lawyer to challenge this part of the Order, as there was actually no problem with it relative to shotshells, as anyone with sufficient knowledge of English, and shotshell construction would realise.

Lawyers are supposed to receive instructions, not give them.
    colfo.s not helpin by gilding the bloody lilly .
    the shits bad enough without own goals.