Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Not Happy

Am struggling with this whole "buy a license" thing. Just got my first shotgun so am keen to go duck shooting. But people saying $x is cheap for a month of ducks I don't get. You know you can buy a delicious fat, cooked, roast duck from most Asian food markets for about $10-20 right? It comes devoid of shot pellets too!

I wonder how much ducks come out at costing with the licenses, shotguns, decoys, mai mai's, ammo, fuel, etc? Don't get me wrong, i'd rather shoot my own too, but I think we're all kidding ourselves trying to say it's economical!
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Am struggling with this whole "buy a license" thing. Just got my first shotgun so am keen to go duck shooting. But people saying $x is cheap for a month of ducks I don't get. You know you can buy a delicious fat, cooked, roast duck from most Asian food markets for about $10-20 right? It comes devoid of shot pellets too!

I wonder how much ducks come out at costing with the licenses, shotguns, decoys, mai mai's, ammo, fuel, etc? Don't get me wrong, i'd rather shoot my own too, but I think we're all kidding ourselves trying to say it's economical
    !
    your in the south so you got counting summer and species extended seasons about 8 months of hunting for you licence fee including quail pheasants shelduck swan.
    secondly its not about economy it only partly about dead ducks it every bit about comdraderie working the dog and taking on a wild animal ,[no matter how many new gadgets that can only hope to replicate wild behavior,]in its own envoroment and ocassionaly winning sometimes winning big.maybe sometime during the season i can take you out and give you a taste of what addicts us all.trust me no,one who has tried it and got a bird or two under normal or even adverse hunting conditions has every said damn thats expensive or not worth the cost.
    MattyP likes this.

I would gladly take you up on the offer if it came my way .

Don't get me wrong - i'm not in any way saying it isn't worth it. I'm just saying those who think hunting in any form saves them money on meat is probably dreaming. There would be very few people who come out ahead in this addiction, and i'm certainly not one of them!
    BRADS likes this.

I would gladly take you up on the offer if it came my way .

Don't get me wrong - i'm not in any way saying it isn't worth it. I'm just saying those who think hunting in any form saves them money on meat is probably dreaming. There would be very few people who come out ahead in this addiction, and i'm certainly not one of them!
    no worries i,l pm you after opening
    the beauty of what we do ids we know where it came from how it was and who handled it and it just tastes better.
    MattyP likes this.

I wonder how much ducks come out at costing with the licenses, shotguns, decoys, mai mai's, ammo, fuel, etc? Don't get me wrong, i'd rather shoot my own too, but I think we're all kidding ourselves trying to say it's economical!
    Now if I see anyone with a non dominant hand with digits spread in front of them and the index finger of the dominant hand successively pointing at said digits, ....

The Mrs just doesn't need to know.

Definitely take gsp follower up on the offer, great fun. I'm seriously contemplating not getting a license this year as I'm likely to miss a big chunk due to mucking about with house repairs. Though I'm sure insanity will prevail.
    kotuku likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I'll miss a big chunk of it being overseas 2/3 of the time, but even if I only get out a couple of times it will be worth it if I have a good time!

Do you need to get your license before the season or can you buy one after it starts if I get the offer to go out?

A license is probably the cheapest part of duck shooting. Hunting in NZ is bloody cheap compared to the rest of the world. Suck it up, and get over it.
    Mike H, paddygonebush and dskd like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I could buy a gun and ammo for less than the cost of a licence and shoot ducks in my back paddock and not a buy gamebird licence at all if I really wanted to

Ejected
    You can buy one any time and after opening day you can buy a day license for $18

Ejected

You think that's bad. I recon my first deer cost me well over $1k. It's a sport nut sustenance hunting or else you would just go and buy a duck from the super market.

I cringe when I think how much I've spent over the years pursuing ducks. Tens of I would have thought.

If anyone wants mallards and is prepared to pick them up PM me and come take em away. They are last seasons drakes.

I dont give license cost a second thought .bloody cheap considering the hours of fun we can have shooting ,exploring,writing on forums(except when you get banned)and being around bloody great mates.having just received a load of venison yesterday ,Im all for this organic food lark. The more i see of these pretentious arseholes who want the ultimate privelege of telling me how to run my life ,the more inclined i am to grab a gun and head out into the wise blue yonder.
    i also admire the wildlife who live their lives happily and simply and occasionally give them up to us.long may it go on
    PS-dont forget to renew your DOC permits for waihora ,as current ones run out next month.happyhappy ,joy joy -theyre free!!!

gadget -if you need a ahnd etc just yodel.anyhow even if you dont make ,I suspect you'll see a coupla birds come your way ,as it should be with all good bastards!!
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    You think that's bad. I recon my first deer cost me well over $1k. It's a sport nut sustenance hunting or else you would just go and buy a duck from the super market.
    That was very cheap Massive. Was that deer from The Warehouse?
    I once caught a measly, skinny trout that I worked out cost me $3000 !

Fortunately my missus is as bad at maths as she is good at cooking, so she still believes (sort of) we get free meat occasionally.
    gadgetman, Gapped axe and kotuku like this.

Quote Originally Posted by C404 View Post
    That was very cheap Massive. Was that deer from The Warehouse?
    I once caught a measly, skinny trout that I worked out cost me $3000 !

Fortunately my missus is as bad at maths as she is good at cooking, so she still believes (sort of) we get free meat occasionally.
    go no ya silly bugger it was a bloody fat whitebait!tell the truth ,cause like the rest of us youre gettin a bit shortsighted!