Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Tick......Tock.......Tick.........Tock......

awesome day in awesome company..my old bitch is knackered..the Wife says thats it,the old girl is retired,just too much for her.....
    managed to get @Billbob his first few ducks ,we ate bacon n egg pie..we drank many heaps cups of tea/coffee/chai latte ..watered lots of weeds due to all the hot beverages lol and even managed to shoot a dozen birds for the day.
    Nathan F, Dundee, mikee and 5 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Was a fantastic morning, thank you @Micky Duck for the invitation and giving me experience. Plucked and gutted and cleaned my share and can't wait to have a feed of them. As for that bacon and egg pie.... Hands down epic!

Name:  IMG_20240504_103616_460~2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  1.96 MB
    Name:  IMG_20240504_085612_779~3.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  522.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20240504_074637_038.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  2.00 MB
    Dundee, 7mm Rem Mag, RUMPY and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    sleeps till next opening day LOL...
    You're a sick man Micky, I feel for your wife.

Smiffy myself and my other mate ventured forth to ther rakaia riverbed for a spot of action .Mate had recced our maimai on lake ellesmere earlier due to low water levels its was like a carpark so no go.anyhow hed recced a couple of holes on the verges of the riverbed ,but on arriving firday both had been tagged c.after a bit of a bloody bumpy tiki tour we found what was a promising looking spot down stream of these holes and a suitable camp some 200m from it -so alls well set up shop.
    after a bloody uncomfortable nights sleep for me -try fitting an adult stretcher sleepingbag etc in a kids tent!(whose the clown) .a couple of times overnight I heard activity ,including some sort of avian domestic! 0530 arives and its on .we had 3 maimais spaced the length of this each with a pack of decoys and boy it was bloody effective .shortly after 0630 i had a parrie hen attempting to seduce one of mine before she parked up on the opposite shore.it was a sitter shot till another arrived beside her .suddenly both took flight at 45'dto each other and startled i missed both .
    smiffy let roar from ther other end and downed 3 parries only to loose one in the dense scrub.
    why hello a wee mallard hen dropped into mine and was all loved up with a decoy before heading to the opposite shore .oops liftoff ,my baikal spoke and hey presto my first duck of the season.
    the actrion was sporadic -no shortage of ducks but boy was steel whizzing past featherd arses at high volume so it was stay a 5000"or chance your beak! round 10am things virtually stopped and we had 5ducks between three of us so we called it and went back to camp to rest refuel and pack up gear .

enter the afternoon session a few missed shjots tillsmiffy and mate managesd to call a mob in and dropped a couple.we heard and saw fair mobs of canadas but hey they wernt foold one iotaand kep[t well out of range .last 20mins before dark trurned bloody hectic ducks in all directions,tilljust on dark smiffy bagged a coupl ,then we had 4 stukas do a low level bomb run .smiffy fired ,me sure hed whipped the leaders arse feather off instinctively took a snapshot ,only to see no2 leave the air and hity the deck with a thud.a quite long seach found a plump mallard drake! yipee
    overall we got 11 but bought 10 home and the majority are young plump parries.???excellent parrie breeding season this year.its fairly obvious our tally was juveniles cause the oldies were staying out of reach!
    Im chuffed with my efforts but moreso grateful to my mates who actually tolerate me and provide expertise where Im lacking and bloody good fun.
    today unpack stores , pluck 4 ducks and fix things I broke 1xchair in camp and my shooting stool which arsed me in up the maimai as I was gonna have a shot.
    oh and as a bonus smiffy managed to deal to a jacko who was overly curious as we made our way out and home .

Great mates ,great country great sport what more could a man wish.????self plucking ducks!!!!!!!!!