Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 3 Post By AMac
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By 7mm tragic

Thread: Berley pots

Berley pots

I am fishing in Pelorus Sound which can have the odd dog fish in it !! [slight understatement].
    I run 2 berley cages, one which is 2m below the surface [for catching baits] and the other which is 2 to 5m off the sea floor. The bottom berley cage is a wobbly pot which has mesh sides made of net nylon and I have had holes chewed through it now on 3 or 4 occasions presumably by doggies grrr!! I quite like the wobbly pot but it is a tad frustrating finding it chewed. Has anyone modified one to make it doggie proof, other ideas ? The top cage is the standard cray bait type berley cage that i put a sinker in to get it to sink.
    My ropes are attached to 2m of stainless wire cable which is clipped to the cage as I have had one rope chewed thru a bottom cage never to see the berley cage again.

MB
    Could you run a series of galvanised steel chains from one ring to another. Bit of hassle, but it would last forever. Alternatively: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/burle...rley-cage-30cm
    Beaker and Shearer like this.

Thank you MB

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Could you run a series of galvanised steel chains from one ring to another. Bit of hassle, but it would last forever. Alternatively: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/burle...rley-cage-30cm
    Thanks MB. That's just been ordered.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Bloody spikey dogs hate them they a real plague in Pelorus these days - i have given up with the set line, flounder net and don’t burley anymore. Basically giving up on stinky bait too over xmas tried stray linning for snapper in our bay gave up after tbe 12th dog. After a month down the sound i had half the bag of pillies i started the holiday with. Switched to big 7” soft baits and lures for snaps we got 16 all up - still get a few dogs but a fraction of what we vet with bait. Been going there since 1970’s and we just didn’t get the spikey dogs back then not in 80’s or 90’s either. Really wonder what has changed since

Yeah if theres spineys around i dont put the burly pot down, unless you want to catch even more spineys.

I have a diy PVC pipe burley dispenser. No photo sorry as it's not here at the moment, but as @AMac said, get the lures out.
    sore head stoat likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I use a laundry detergent bucket, (once empty), drill 2 or 3 rows of one inch holes around it leaving bottom third or so without any holes. Remove wire handle and drill a couple more holes below the rim and splice a rope handle on it.
    Once burley is in, clip original lid back down. Big advantage of this setup, apart from the cost, is that when changing spots you just tip the water out before you bring it over the side and then just set it down in the boat without fear of your burley leaking all over the place.
    Also bucket acts as a bit of an hydraulic pump with lifted up and down a couple of times to get a bit of burley flowing.
    Beaker and sore head stoat like this.