Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By Dan.22-250
  • 2 Post By Finnwolf
  • 1 Post By Trout

Thread: CANAL BAIT FISHING SETUP

CANAL BAIT FISHING SETUP

Wanting to get setup to fish hydro canals . Mainly bait fishing but keen to give softbaits a go . What line is best , I understand braid is the go with some sort of leader. What breaking strain and trace setup do you guys use ?. CHEERS

Caretaker
    6 pound braid and 6 pound leader

Use a 8 foot lightweight rod for 10-15g lures

You will have the fight of a lifetime
    jcurtis123 likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I used 18lb Diawa Braid on light spinning reel, which was very thin with 4m 6lb leader mtched 8Ft light weight rod. think it was worth it.

Worked great.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

For a perfect set-up I'd be running different rods for soft-bait and bait.

Soft-bait ideally a 7'6" to 8 foot rod with a 2-10g cast weight and a reasonably stiff tip so you can impart some action/movement to the soft-bait. Run 6 or 8 braid and leader.

Bait set-up I'd go heavier, still an 8 foot rod and if you want to fish off the dam/outlet walls a 9ft plus won't hurt, as it allows Plenty of clearance when negotiating around the fences and getting down to the water to land fish. Commonly use 2oz weights if current is running so a rod capable of casting that but in a 3-6 or 4-8kg line weight is ideal. 15-20lb braid is fine here and means the rod can be used for other stuff as well. Just use appropriate weight leaders.

If only wanting one rod I'd go for an 8-9 foot 3-6kg set, casting weight as large as the budget allows but no more than 4g at the bottom end. Then put on good braid that has a 10-15lb breaking strain but is still .15mm or less in diameter. Then use light leaders soft-baiting and a heavier one when bait fishing.
    PillowDribbler likes this.

running rig on trout gear works for us. if current is swift it gets tricky and need to find quiet pocket of water or work angles so line has less drag.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Late last year I caught a nice rainbow at Ohau outlet from the top of the wall using a 6’ boat rod, a stout fixed spool reel with 12lb mono line.
    Terminal tackle was a swivel under a small sinker, a 200mm trace and a worm for bait.
    So you can succeed with almost anything.

But take the advice of the earlier posters for best results!
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Yrs ago i used a 6ft trout rod and light reel.Tide on a litte green n black slice to about 6lb nylon.Fish the 1st and last hour of day light,caught so many big trout,my 18cu/ft freezer use to get filled and emptyed quiet often.Give away a lot of big trout over the yrs.I got sick of catching big trout and stopped fishing for them.One week early May,5 evening visits to the canel,fished no more than 30 minuts each visit.I caught 4 rainbows,16x2,20,22 lbs and a buitifull 16lb brown.Gave the lot away to guys i was working with that week.All caught on a 17gram green and black hex.
    Micky Duck likes this.