Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree5456Likes

Thread: Catch Any Trout Today?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Taupo's been good for the last month or so with plenty of freshies coming through for the eastern side of the lake but if it sticks to the weather forecast (which is poo's) I'd be looking at getting early evening to the Pipe on Rotoiti or off the beach at Okataina (far left as you can go if there is a slight wind as the food gets corralled in the corners off the beach and the fish come in and prowl the weed line. Moon state is still pretty good so well worth a look.

Failing that lake Rotoma in the corner just where the State Highway goes up the hill out to Kawerau / Whaka is worth a shot during the day as the returning trout spawning area there is close to where they were dropped in by Fish and game - small doll fly or heave and leave a floating glow bug...

Hope it helps...CD
    Heave and leavers should keep traveling on to Whakatane and go snapper fishing instead. What a disgraceful way to mock the sport of gentlemen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Even Awahau was fishing well the other afternoon. Limit within two hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Even Awahau was fishing well the other afternoon. Limit within two hours.

Man I've spent some hours down there. Most of them in sand shoes and shorts before I could afford waders. The main current was bloody cold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Danny likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Lost a rainbow tonight on black and gold striped toby
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Took my 10yr old boy in there even mid-summer with his hoha wader rig. We caught him two but he was nearly hypothermic within twenty minutes

kiwijames likes this.
    Dan M

Shot for all the info guys. Will have to get out there and ill let you know how I get on. Could be a bit rusty though, its been a few months since I had a rod in me hands

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Tarawera is quite, not much happening at Rangiuru bay
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Nephew and Koro out to the Landing this morning; dead quiet.
    Even so, I feel tempted...

Dan M

Got out in the ngo this morning for an hour or so. There were a few rainbows around albeit small ones. Landed one and dropped another but was good to get out there again

No trout left in the freezer,I'm off to see if I can change that.
    Name:  picture 6656.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  164.6 KB
    mrs dundee likes this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Took my eldest out tonight. Blowing a gale so spinning gear only. She just had her 8th birthday and has been wanting her own rod for a while.
    Dropped her first tonight at the bank. Shame as it was not a bad fish.

She will be hooked for life kiwijames. Blowing so hard here today the river was flowing backwards.
    mrs dundee likes this.
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    She will be hooked for life kiwijames. Blowing so hard here today the river was flowing backwards.
    Yes. I think she will insist to be my fishing buddy from now on.
    Dundee, Munsey and mrs dundee like this.

Checked the river this morning from the top of the bank near the run off and it looked murky blue.
    Got down there tonight for a fish and we have had no rain just severe gales so I'm picking there must of been a blockage upstream at some stage.
    There has been a wave of water down here by the looks but its clean again now.
    Name:  picture 6827.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  165.2 KB
    Anyway fished downstream one way with a black and gold toby one bite nothing landed.
    Name:  picture 6825.jpg
Views: 168
    Changed the toby to a brown striped one for the fishing on the way back only 300 metres of water to cover at this location.
    Another hit but never landed it and rain was threatening but it didn't eventuate.
    Name:  picture 6826.jpg
Views: 144
    Got to the end of the river that was fishable as I had fished down then came back up and stopped here to put the Taihape Terror on.
    Name:  picture 6830.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  163.7 KB
    There was a fish breaking the surface about 3 metres away in ankle (waist deep for me) deep water.
    Anyway I cast the Taihape terror about half a metre behind where it was feeding and instant strike.
    Quick battle and I landed it.
    Name:  picture 6828.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  163.2 KB
    Second trout for the 2015/16 season
    Name:  picture 6829.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  162.8 KB
    veitnamcam, kiwijames and Cspence like this.
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Took my eldest out tonight. Blowing a gale so spinning gear only. She just had her 8th birthday and has been wanting her own rod for a while.
    Dropped her first tonight at the bank. Shame as it was not a bad fish.
    wow thats so kool,she will be hooked now,when i started fishing i was hooked .too