Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree14748Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Yeah think that may be the case, big tides so worth a dig. If nothing else a catch up with mates is assured. Sadly you are working, but will organise a time to yarn soon
    Pengy likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I am interested to know the capacity of those tanks Stingray.
    Thanks. Mine were 90’s back in the day.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

They who dare win!

What a afternoon out got to the fishing spot met up with @ROKTOY and Aaron, I brought another bloke from work so whilst not a big crew we had enough hands to work the net.

We wander out across the flat with a silt layer an inch to 3 deep the snails and crabs seemed to have worked through the problem and were in their normal abundance, with a bit of crap sticks oyster shells weed etc laying in the shallows we lifted the net over this and set into the deeper water..a quick 10 min drag I swore I could feel life in the tow, so up onto a nice clean bit of beach we found a net of sticks shells weed and three very very welcome flounder.

That put a spring in our step ! Looking up stream it seemed it was snaggy and less than ideal so we packed up and headed way down the channel to an area we didn’t tend to fish due its shell beds and sand mounds…with ankle deep mud making head way hard we chose to chuck the drag in the tide have a bash then fish the incoming from firmer ground …

well only a few steps into the drag Dans calling fish , I’m feeling fish in my side as well …then it all settled down to a slog and the odd worrying tension of the net as we picked up drift wood off the bed …up onto some firm the sticks rose out of the tide first the a splash and a tail loomed large the another and another …smiles and yahoos abounded as we beached the drag all hands to the pump binning our bounty …a couple of shorts were returned to the tide and the rest were sorted and cleaned.

We sorted the drag and counted our tally of 15 prime flounder and a mammoth mullet. We cleared the rubbish from our net and set up for the flood, it rushed in but all was very quite. With a squal of rain reaching in from the hills we headed for the trucks. Cracked a beer and yarned for a while enjoying our time together.

The chill set into my bones and I pulled the pin away home to a hot shower and dry cloths…great couple of hours out and about with some like minded folks ..interestingly the flounder were stuffed absolutely stuffed with cockle shell, certainly the normal crabs but some were chocked with shellfish ..I have no idea how they
    A got them into the gut
    B broke the shell open ….but they obviously did and were doing very well on this diet .

Like Dan said “You don’t catch them on the couch “! Not a truer word spoken
    Nil durum volenti !!

That was a fantastic way end to the day. Cheers guys.
    The recent flooding had left its mark, but not as bad as I had expected. The channels where were we had left them, the grass hadn't been wiped out too much and the cockles had been buried a bit. But, the fish were there and they were healthy. The cockles were still there but not as easy to find as they had been. Aaron left them in peace this trip.
    It was good to get out and get a feed, A few good blokes, with a couple of mutts having a ball playing in the mud together, A great way to catch up with a good mate and have a yarn or three.

MB
    Funny one yesterday. Got caught out with the weather despite a good forecast. Just vile outside the harbour. To make matters worse, I promised a fish to a mate who doesn't get the opportunity to get out very often. At least we achieved that before heading back in to the harbour. Saw some poor buggers on a Mac 320 who were soaked from head-to-toe. I'm guessing they've had better days. Boat cleanup took longer than fishing time! Still, we got home safely which is the main thing, and we got a feed.

Interestingly, Korean mate (guy in the photo) contacted me last night to say that it was Korean "Thanksgiving" which coincided with the full moon and the moon was the "biggest" in 100 years. Maybe related?

Had a crack at Kina yesterday. First time with the kontiki there. With Rabbit Island shutting early and obviously the council has never heard of pumps to remove water, there is no access either.
    Cracker day but only a carpet shark for our efforts and then a seal 20m off shore brought an end to proceedings.
    Might try the Blind Channel this afternoon, but my crew may have deserted by the sound of it. Not sure about baited hooks and people with dogs that are not able to be controlled, when I'm by myself. Always great to see people who have taken the effort to train their dogs in basic commands and are able to call them.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk
    rugerman, stingray and Micky Duck like this.

Theres a reason we have never walkwd our dogs on back beach dog exercise area!!!!
    stingray and Micky Duck like this.

Just a after thought ..and I do apologise for not posting this with my fishing report.

The edges of the channel are boggy in parts, the main road from ramp to channel is still solid but has a bit of mud

But the edges of the creek used on a flooding tide and the north side of the ramp look ok but I would certainly walk the last 10 yards to the channel before driving backing out onto it…there is patch’s of axel deep silt that could compromise a launch or retrieve of a boat or vehicle.

Please take the extra 10 mins to make sure your on what was traditionally hard surface …has not become a truck trap
    veitnamcam, mikee and Micky Duck like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

VC home from sea , so we promptly returned to sea to go sharking.
    A wonderful calm morning ,oily to the horizon. We mucked about trying a few close spots waiting for the ebb tide to run, I cursed @Shearer yet again as my expensive shinny shit got snaked and returned to my bait fishing.

I then cursed the burley ,the lack of current and bloody spiked dogs. All the while VC boated gurnard and the odd carpet shark….as I set my forth set of gear into the tide I managed to snag a keepable bluey , then a carrot and then another things were looking up, I even had time to heckle VC as he busted off a solid fish on his strayline … replace your rigs after a couple of sharks I crowed!

Ohh how the fishing gods love to punish a smart arse…I went from catching table fish back to shit fish in a minute, then doubled down to catching shit fish two at a time. VC took pity on me and we hauled the gear and wandered over to check the hook line, well the first few hooks produced carpet sharks and things looked grim as they got bigger and bigger and bigger…then a wonderful treat , a carrot followed by a handful more …smiles all round

Finished up with a Northly wind pushing us home as we gutted the fish and headed up the channel and sat the boat in the shalllows. We had a beer and let the tide run out so we could trailer the boat without getting the utes feet wet.

Well that was the plan we hooked the boat on and I heaved on the winch, the boat stayed were it was as the winch wound itself towards the boat…a few strops later things were secured and we backed the trailer under the boat as I gently winched this time.

A bit off banter about being ham fisted and rough as guts. All in all a great day out we were very tempted to chance our arm and go floundering on the bottom of the tide but with a lack of bodies and enough things to take care of we set that plan aside for another day.

Photos to follow as normal!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Name:  IMG_20220924_082331.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  5.69 MB
    Name:  IMG_20220924_114746.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  5.60 MB
    Name:  IMG_20220924_122929.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  5.43 MB
    stingray, deer243, Beaker and 7 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

To be fair it was one of two bits I didn't replace when I built the new trailer.... always good to have a strong mate about.

Name:  IMG_20220924_133027.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  7.64 MB

Name:  IMG_20220924_140444.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  7.93 MB

Anyway we bro'd it up to get home and no worries.

Name:  IMG_20220924_171810.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  5.57 MB
    madjon_, stingray, Pengy and 8 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Looked like a nice day out there Fella's. Well done, dinner looks nice
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    To be fair it was one of two bits I didn't replace when I built the new trailer.... always good to have a strong mate about.

Attachment 206565

Attachment 206566

Anyway we bro'd it up to get home and no worries.

Attachment 206567
    Unfortunately for one of you, I was reading this at work and pissing myself. My workmate asked what was so funny....it may now be common knowledge around the port
    The man doesnt know his own strength.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

A great day with an afternoon tide. Name:  20220926_174444.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  1.68 MB
    Name:  20220926_173719.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  1.85 MB
    Name:  20220926_174924.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  2.54 MB
    Name:  20220926_174938.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  3.02 MB
    Name:  20220926_175056.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  3.85 MB
    Name:  20220926_181410.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  3.67 MB
    Nil durum volenti !!

Photos say it all, great folks mud , dogs , and flats. Thanks again everyone who mucked in cleared the net gutted the fish, laughed and heckled
    A perfect evening of young folks tearing about in the mud, dogs battling and chasing each other!

Us dragging a trawl, gathering a feed of fat delicious flats,

RIP Liz , I think we celebrated your passing in the best way possible with friends family and fishing!
    Nil durum volenti !!