Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree14751Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Today was sopost to be a free diving morning but I had txt the Son yesterday to get all the gear ready for the morning while I was out entertaining his mother.
    Well this morning after a sleep in (I know right. ) I went to get ready and dive gear was still spread all over the place so fishing it is.
    Boat ramp in Nelson packed out..... fortunately being late payed off as I got a park in carpark as someone came in.

Mini me first up as usual.
    Name:  IMG_20230211_110707.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  6.01 MB.

That was the smallest snap we would catch at 38cm.
    6 snap caught total...two kahawai... a few spiky dogs.
    All in all pretty good for 2 hours in the middle the day.
    Sun was punishing.....
    Im still feeling a bit broken arsed.
    Name:  IMG_20230211_121902.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  5.72 MB
    Dundee, rugerman, stingray and 9 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

VC called dive time and tonight looked ideal , rising tide bringing in the clean water and clam seas …out to the ramp ..geared up in a down pour , the set out in a nasty but slight westerly punching rain into our faces! Sought shelter in a boulder strewn bay..dropped the pick and chucked the dive team over the side !

The free divers headed for the weed line and I headed for the bottom on a tank, as I approached the bottom the Tasman bay murk took over taking epic vis 5/6 meters down to the grovel about mode…but we had marked up a few rocks here before so the turf was broken and full of places to hunt a cray!

Not more than three cracks / holes explored and I’m on to one , no feelers and flighty as taking its cave mates back with it …

Next overhanging crack ..a keeper is tucked up in a blind crack with no escape …enjoy the easy one’s…I’m on the board.

Round and round a few more smalls and keepers all back in their cracks caves and holes ! Bunched up which was great to see but nothing fishable.

Surfaced , blew the snot out of my mask / …surface swam over in the direction VC had recommended dropped down the face of the rock ears clearing so much better…hung just above the bottom as a car bonnet sized ray drifted under me ..then into the reef / structure, hole cracks and dirty caves perfect…

Crays crays crays , but all keepers were tucked in behind the smalls , over up down checking every angle to try to find a cray to grab …got one , then by chance it’s panicking mate did some dumb shit and now I’ve two ..fantastic

Round and round over and under until my air ran low , plenty of crays about but they have being picked over and those missing feelers educate the others …back to the boat, the free divers are enjoying the vis so I pack away my gear , and enjoy a cold one listening to the cicadas , and idle away an hour ..

Eventually we get the seals back onboard , wandered home on calm seas with a setting sun …thanks VC and mini vc..a great evening out!! Just what I needed!
    veitnamcam, madjon_, Pengy and 3 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Got Joe out for a after work dive to give the poor flounder a break.
    Farkin pissed down just as we arrived to get suited up.

Mini me and I had a swim round, viz was awesome by Nelson standards....been quite a while no exercise so breath holds were shit but improved as I relaxed back into it.
    Joe got onto a few crays and managed to snag a feed.
    We cruised around checking out more turf on the sounder for a bit and came in for a debrief and refreshments.
    Awesome as always cheers @stingray.
    Name:  IMG_20230216_202723.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  5.83 MB
    Lots of little fish around but didn't see anything worth pulling the trigger on.
    madjon_, stingray, Pengy and 8 others like this.

Name:  20230218_105132.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  3.31 MB
    Name:  20230218_101422.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  1.69 MB
    Nil durum volenti !!

Beautiful....
    stingray likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Good work fellas. Albys and Skippys have to be up there in the fun to catch stakes
    stingray and Shearer like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Not many of those around my area, love to catch one (one day)

now, I feel like getting my line wet.
    maybe Takapuna later on today if I could clear my paperwork's.
    stingray likes this.

Nice morning out off the able tasman this morning.

Mate had his newly acquired 'buster 420' out too so it was good fun having another boat for company for a change.

Real fishy morning with lots of surface bust ups going on and plenty of action resulted in a good bin of fish each, along with plenty returned to fight another day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Bit of a report of yesterdays events, got on the water and straight out to 40 meters the water was the darkest blue I’ve ever seen in Tasman bay, set three tuna lures soaking, the very old blue and white I found in the boat shed reconditioned with a new leader and sharp set of doubles got the first attention with a hit in the first five mins but no hook up, so after 15 mins of no action and a untangle , we reset the lures right in the wake of the boat and increased the boat speed to 9 mph according to the reading on the dash!

Well that did the trick and bang Mini VC has a screamer on and well we did a bit off yelling and panicking and clearing the gear! That done we settled down and got to getting the fish to the boat , after a bit of a battle we had the leader in hand and the gaff at the ready, the fish panicked swam hard at the motor a bit of slack line and we believe the nylon pulled tight against the hull of the boat and snapped.

Nothing for it but to chuck the lures back in set them like last time , get the boat up to speed and cross our fingers….well the fishing gods smiled on me, not 10 mins later my rig was howling as line left the reel, this time no panicking gear was cleared boat speed maintained then into the fight!

It took a bit to wrestle the tuna to the boat and when it saw the boat it powered off again we circled it keeping the fish away from the motor and the side of the boat VC got the leader and skull dragged the tuna aboard …you beauty! A quick photo and some knife work bleeding the fish , then guts and gills out and packed with salt ice ..beauty!

Ran the gear out for another go , hooked three massive Kahawai all at once saw a bit of bedlam but all ended well!

Off for a cod bash , well the VC team did that bashing cod with a fury VC snagged a horse on a (baited) lure and mini VC caught his limit in one drop with two beauties! Whist the other family team well took a more studied approach and enjoyed the day the calm seas and the bloody ravenous small cod

My daughter did hold up the family honour with a couple of keepers! The we set sail for home stopped at a snapper spot got plagued by small carrots at least one was caught twice if not three times. Burnt the burley , mini VC got through most of the tucker on board and so we headed for home!

Gutted the fish ran the auxiliary motor only to have it blow a out let hose off it’s fitting, so fixed that at home and with a bit of bush craft maintenance we cleared the obstruction in the out let pipe !

Had beer and chilled raw tuna and soya sauce yarns and laughter ! Bed late made up early difficult. So alarms were snoozed and a lazy day ensued..the VC team did the lawns and I did a cleanup ..thanks guys bloody champions!
    Nil durum volenti !!

6Name:  20230218_101348.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  3.48 MB
    Name:  20230218_100452.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  2.59 MB
    Name:  20230218_122602.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  3.86 MB
    Name:  20230218_100426.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  2.48 MB
    Nil durum volenti !!

Awesomeness !!!

And even a baited lure ah

After work and school dive with Jo and the Son.
    Just managed to get out on the outgoing tide touched the bottom slightly.
    Ran over some big bait balls and marked some big fish around them, droped the longline near there.
    Pulled up at spot x .3 and got in the water.
    The viz was great again but she was a little sloppy and I was just too damn hot I couldn't get comfortable couldn't hold my breath my balls were being squashed by the wetsuit and it was hot did I mention it was hot water temp was 21.5.
    I I cracked the shits with it and went back to the boat ,I took off the top half of my wetsuit and a couple of weights off my belt and had another go....better now I wasn't being basted in my own sweat but I would float head down when trying to breath up so using energy to keep head at snorkel depth and when I dived down and up the bib top of the bottom half of wet suit would billow out like a sea anchor.
    Joe was having a bit of a mare also and grabbed a couple of my weights when I got out .
    The Son was actually going really well....I dunno how but then he had just biked home from school, uphill the whole way wearing a black puffer jacket in near 30 degrees!
    Joe snagged some keepers and the longline produced a couple of panni snap and a nice Trev.
    Good to get out even if my diving was a bit of a struggle.
    Name:  IMG_20230220_191845.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  5.65 MB
    Name:  IMG_20230220_191920.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  5.47 MB
    madjon_, Dundee, rugerman and 6 others like this.

Out with Dad today to try for a tuna.
    Had some Intel they were around in 25m off of the Glen so he steamed straight out in the middle instead
    Had a troll, got a rat king didn't see anything no birds nothing.
    Name:  IMG_20230221_100132.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  6.25 MB
    Was nearly top of tide when he got sick of that and decided to snapper fish for 2 hours of no current and punishing sun.
    He managed a panni snap and a couple gurnard and a nice Trev, I hid from the sun and got a couple of big grey boys.
    Buggered off back in to 20m to find some current while we still had half a burly left and I got my first John Dory on some squid on the stray line.
    I thought they were spos to be lazy but it went on a couple of good runs for a start before tiring out.
    Name:  IMG_20230221_132550.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  5.79 MB
    Then next up a nice 65 cm snap put up a good fight from way out the back.

Name:  IMG_20230221_141842.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  6.06 MB

I'm not going fishing for at least a day...too much sun.
    stingray, Beaker, Shearer and 4 others like this.

I hear you about the sun VC...punishing !!

We had the same plan so headed out wide from the other side of the bay in search of tuna. Had my workmate and another mate on board neither of whom had caught one.

Ended up a punishing day in more ways than one. Had absolutely no trouble finding the tuna but do you think we could get them eat the lures !!!

We were surrounded by tuna on many occasions. Had them jumping fully out of the water, in front of us, behind us, to the sides. Chased the buggers all over the show.
    Insanely frustrating !!

Tried going slow, fast, rapalas, even small kahawai lures just couldn't entice the bite.

Ended up with one for 70km of travel.

Mate was stoked tho. In fact they both loved it. Just being out amongst that stuff is an experience in itself.

Had dropped a longline on the way out at 28m and that produced 3 snaps so they both got a couple of feeds to take home

I'm going out there again. Very Soon !

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    I hear you about the sun VC...punishing !!

We had the same plan so headed out wide from the other side of the bay in search of tuna. Had my workmate and another mate on board neither of whom had caught one.

Ended up a punishing day in more ways than one. Had absolutely no trouble finding the tuna but do you think we could get them eat the lures !!!

We were surrounded by tuna on many occasions. Had them jumping fully out of the water, in front of us, behind us, to the sides. Chased the buggers all over the show.
    Insanely frustrating !!

Tried going slow, fast, rapalas, even small kahawai lures just couldn't entice the bite.

Ended up with one for 70km of travel.

Mate was stoked tho. In fact they both loved it. Just being out amongst that stuff is an experience in itself.

Had dropped a longline on the way out at 28m and that produced 3 snaps so they both got a couple of feeds to take home

I'm going out there again. Very Soon !

What had the tuna been eating?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.