Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Ingrid 51
  • 2 Post By Lucky
  • 1 Post By rugerman
  • 1 Post By Lucky

Thread: Floundering out of a Canoe

Floundering out of a Canoe

Anyone doing this ? Would be great to get into some spots access wise but can you actually Spear out of one ok ?

seen photos of the sit on versions with LED strip lighting underneath them....looked awesome. cant see issue spearing out of one but would need reasonably long spear so could reach outwards as straight down wouldnt always be on cards...you could easily do the bulb in test tube with cork thing too and poke it down through the drain holes.......its come a long way from dragging car battery in plastic drum using spotlight as we used to do.
    rugerman and Lucky like this.

I used an inflatable when spearing in nth Tauranga harbour. Found that from the dinghy, the target was too far away, but I was in waist deep water. I resorted to a home made underwater light attached to my spear. I walked and towed the dinghy that held the battery. Boat carried all heavy stuff and was there for safety and channel crossing.

Light was two croc clips to battery, with long cord to handle of spear. Cord was zip tied. Cord went thru top of screw top marmite type jar(glass with plastic lid so used silicon and O ring to seal entry point plus thread. Bulb just hung there. Was brilliant (‘s use pun) underwater.

Shit I like the idea of strip lights under the canoe , I have a great under water LED light I use when walking around , it’s the controlling the canoe while looking / spearing and not spooking them that’s got me scratching my head , I like the idea of it .
    rugerman and stingray like this.

How would you go with picking them up. When I went spearing I always put my hand underneath on the spike before picking the speared flounder up so it didn't fall off the spear. I suppose if the barb is big enough it would fall off ?
    Lucky likes this.

I saw it recently on a Youtube clip in the states , they had a purpose built flat bottom boat with wicked floodlights , front of the boat was square and high sided and they cruised along slowly in the shallows , you had to be quick and a good shot though , serious bit of kit ,
    I normally just go out on my own to get a feed , will try borrow one of those open type canoes and just give it whirl .
    rugerman likes this.

I wade and tow canoe behind me with the kids in it most of the time,underwater light ,great if you come to channel or deep spot just jump in and paddle till wading depth again,good having car battery in the canoe as well no extra weight to lug around,I fish raglan harbour so viz is usually only good in knee deep water or less.

lol we used to do similar but battery was in blue 150ish litre drum I was only wee tacker back then and could fit in drum...big bro usedto wear the plastic sandles you could get to stop getting feet cut on shells and would slip one off and wiggle toes under speared flounder to lift it without it coming off the sharpened #8 wire spear point.modern crocs would be even better as they float...