Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Has anyone caught a salmon this season yet?

Sounds good @R93 I hope you get one, I have 2 mates coming with me in my boat tomorrow so I hope one of us gets one. I will let you know how I get on. Good luck and fingers crossed.
    When hunting think safety first

No luck for me today, the other guys got a trout each but the river was up and a bit milky. Never mind there's always next year

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    No luck for me today, the other guys got a trout each but the river was up and a bit milky. Never mind there's always next year
    Bugger, when i saw this pop up on my feed i was really hoping to see a picture of a salmon....

Canada holiday i reckon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Banned
    I have a wee theory about Waitaki Salmon. They used to spawn in pretty big numbers in the side streams. I suspect over the years they moved down from the Haka and a good portion spawned lower down. You certainly used to see a heap spawning. Now the Dairy farmers have cut almost all of those backwaters off. There is only a thin marginal strip of willows. I also think the run has got later, like well after the season. I say this because I know one stable piece of forgotten backwater and come late may, it will look like a stream in Alaska.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I have a wee theory about Waitaki Salmon. They used to spawn in pretty big numbers in the side streams. I suspect over the years they moved down from the Haka and a good portion spawned lower down. You certainly used to see a heap spawning. Now the Dairy farmers have cut almost all of those backwaters off. There is only a thin marginal strip of willows. I also think the run has got later, like well after the season. I say this because I know one stable piece of forgotten backwater and come late may, it will look like a stream in Alaska.
    You could be right about them running later, they have only just started showing up over the last week or so and the weather pattern has changed so it is warmer for longer so agree they could be coming up later. Also the season used to go until the end of April but now its the end of March.