Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Live Bait set ups for Kingies?

Live Bait set ups for Kingies?

Hi All,

Yesterday whilst out fishing on the boat we caught a few jack mackerel and sent them out the back under a balloon and I rigged one to drop to the bottom, I set up a 8oz sinker up to a 3 way swivel, short trace with a 6 bar circle and a running 4 bar and had the 6 bar set in front of the dorsal and the 4 bar thru the nose. I would have lost 4-6 livies with a bit of bait action a good run then nothing, with livie gone so wondering if I have it set up right?

Running rod in holder with minimal drag. I did pick up a good Kahawai, ~4ft hammer head and a good 45cm snapper on the livies so just wondering if theres a better rig, or your go to rig to use for dropping to bottom on a sinker, we were in 25-30m.

Would also like to try for a kingie in Ohiwa harbor off the sand so any tips for targeting them in a harbor off the sand would also be appreciated? throw poppers about?

Cheers FBD

9 or 10 bar circle crimped onto 2m 100lb trace, swivel, 4oz ball sinker running on 60lb leader, then braid to reel.
    Jack mack hooked through nose. Hook offset, so when hook is rolled backwards, is up and not in jack mac.

Seems to work for me.
    Pengy and Fat belly Dog like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

In water that deep you could use one of two rigs.

A running rig like you described, but dont use a three way swivel. Just the sinker on the bottom and them 2 m of 80 lb flurocarbon with a 8/0 circle running on the main line via another swivel.

The other rig is just a normal rig. J hook, 2 m of fluro trace, swivel and sinker on the main line.

If you are serious get 80lb braid on your reel, a braid capable rod.

Flurocarbon is the answer to kingys. They cant see it.

I do a lot of live baiting and its very successful.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Jus
    When I lived up north I ran 80pound braid, 100pound shock leader with a swivel holding back a fat sinker, 80pound flouro of 2m off that to a single circle hook, maybe an 8? Hooked jack Mack, kahawai, trevally, through only the upper mouth(nose) and slow troll them around structure, over head real on free spool, holding braid in hand and when there’s a thud that pulled the braid out of my hands I’d count to 5 and then lock up, hook up and only lost kings to sharks or heavy structure

Gkp
    Easy. Use a gun

Name:  20230226_094208.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  1.44 MB
    7mmsaum, rugerman, Beaker and 7 others like this.

Just go single hook through the shoulder, the two may get in the way, just remember a kingi wants to eat head first, snaps and sharks dont care, they have teeth.

And for anyone using flurocarbon leader, be aware you need to replace your trace after EVERY fish, it has been proven to be half or less of the original breaking strength after being under load.
    7mmsaum, Bill999, Pengy and 4 others like this.

Gkp
    Use a balloon attached to your line with a rubber band to set the depth. Good indicator as to where the livie is and for when it gets hit
    Micky Duck likes this.

Great thanks for the feedback, single hook thru the nose or shoulder and a running sinker to trace or a running rig. Didnt know about kingies eating head first so that makes sense why the bridal rigs maybe getting in the way.

I know I dont have a good rod/reel set up for targeting kingies. I was using my surfcasting Penn Spinfisher 750 with 20lb mono on a 10-15kg solid FG rod it so will be undergunned....

I do have a shimano baitrunner 650 that I could respool with Braid or should I go with a dedicated setup and if so any mid ranged suggestions?

Cheers

I make a loop on the end of my trace using a figure 8 knot, then slip the ball sinker over the loop, loop then to swivel, that way you don't have the sinker moving around up your mainline and also it has no chance of wearing through

This reel would do https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fishi...-spinning-reel
    Fat belly Dog likes this.

single hook talored to the size of the livie

I tie it directly on to the end of my 50lb mono on a 50wide (which I know isnt ideal but it works fine)

no swivel or balloon

thru the shoulder of the kahiwai in front of the dorsal fin on a 45 deg forward angle

boat in gear going as slow as it can go. its the boat that attracts them

tuna tubes revive them after they get a tired and mean you go thru less livies

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    single hook talored to the size of the livie

I tie it directly on to the end of my 50lb mono on a 50wide (which I know isnt ideal but it works fine)

no swivel or balloon

thru the shoulder of the kahiwai in front of the dorsal fin on a 45 deg forward angle

boat in gear going as slow as it can go. its the boat that attracts them

tuna tubes revive them after they get a tired and mean you go thru less livies
    Shit how do I attract so many without a boat?

When fishing for kings in Whangaroa Harbour I prefer to drift in the current with the livey down fairly deep, 10 meters or so.
    In a Harbour like Ohiwa I'd be inclined to drift around the entrance or some structure at first light in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Shit how do I attract so many without a boat?
    You need to blow bubbles in the water like in swim class it’s the noise and exhaust that brings them in like a magnet so don’t hold back

Otherwise they arrive and disappear in seconds from what iv seen of them when free diving so make sure you have a smallish lollypop sized fish that’s too big for a rat to swallow

If all else fails blow more bubbles

From my understanding and little experience maybe the issue is the hook, you got good run but the hook did set well.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.