Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New fly line

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    I`m glad I got onto Paul, good pointers and kept me at it till I got it sort of right, then said try this rod with your reel ,nice feel and control , dam good rod. Then he said "It`s yours" well what can you say, thanks heaps Paul, it`s great to meet some of the good guys out there, tight lines mate, Doug.
    May the Force guide you, to become an instinctive natural caster

The nasturtiums ( aspersions) that I cast earlier about the Olympic reel are because 1) they are narrow and so the line winds onto the reel in more layers than a wide arbour causing jam-ups at the wrong moment and 2) because the spool rim is enclosed it is not possible to 'palm the reel' when playing a fish. Instead the drag has to be fiddled with and the line run through your fingers, again causing a loss of fish.
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 24-11-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Moa hunter...I have used the same reel forever and cant fault them.... you learn from get go to space line with fingers as you wind it in.....same as any reel,garden hose or D8 winch rope they all jam if you dont. as for the drag bit.....set and forget. if you want more drag lift the rod higher so line drags on rings,less point it at fish,too tight of drag has lost many fish and snapped leaders because of it...cant ever say I could blame the reel for loosing a fish...my cockups.log jams,planets un aligned,etc etc but not the reel.... we use the bigger version for trolling a lead line behind the boat......sure makes playing a fish more sporting than using spinning rod and egg beater.
    different strokes for different folks I guess.
    have an old old procaster fly rod in shed and it is a beauty to cast with,despite the low price tag.
    Husky1600 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Moa hunter...I have used the same reel forever and cant fault them.... you learn from get go to space line with fingers as you wind it in.....same as any reel,garden hose or D8 winch rope they all jam if you dont. as for the drag bit.....set and forget. if you want more drag lift the rod higher so line drags on rings,less point it at fish,too tight of drag has lost many fish and snapped leaders because of it...cant ever say I could blame the reel for loosing a fish...my cockups.log jams,planets un aligned,etc etc but not the reel.... we use the bigger version for trolling a lead line behind the boat......sure makes playing a fish more sporting than using spinning rod and egg beater.
    different strokes for different folks I guess.
    have an old old procaster fly rod in shed and it is a beauty to cast with,despite the low price tag.
    MD I do understand what you have written. I have an Olympic reel my 'gear room' that I don't use anymore. I have lost fish up to at a guess 16 lb from crazy runs with that reel that it cant cope with. Went to a wide arbour reel - problem solved. I fish with basically no drag set - just enough to stop an over-run when stripping. If a fish is in the weeds or round a snag there is resistance and any drag is too much. Now what happens when a fish is hooked near the lift point of a long cast upstream when there is a pile of line in your hand or on the water ?. At that point there is a lot of furious winding and back peddling to get the fish 'on the reel' with no time to dally with how the line lays on. Then said fish makes a scorching run until it gets to the jam and it is released prematurely ...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Large and wide. One of the only places this is desirable
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

OK, With my number 8 wire talents I think I can knock up a winchey thingie for there`s troutey kingies. Could use some old train brake shoes as the clutch to holed back there`s river monsters , few washing machine bits and it would be a goer, pic of the prototype.
    Name:  th[7].jpg
Views: 82
Size:  25.0 KB, Just have to fit it on my rod.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Large and wide. One of the only places this is desirable
    another 'place' being antlers on a stag ??

Look boys, It`s like, what you've got is what you use and what you use is what you've got, so when I win lotto I`ll have a think about it but by that time I will probably love my reel and rod. Now just have to find one of those books on trout fishing and surf fishing X spots where I can park my caravan and hear the river or surf rumbling with a cold beer in hand.
    stingray and Micky Duck like this.