Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Northland Scallop Fishery (SCA1) Full Closure (only it's not!)

MB

Northland Scallop Fishery (SCA1) Full Closure (only it's not!)

Supposedly SCA1 is under full closure to protect scallop stocks. Only, it's not a full closure. If you read the policy document rather than the press release, it states that Commercial and Recreational Allowance have been reduced to zero, whereas the Customary Allowance undergoes no change at 7.5 tonnes per year. A lot of pissed off people up here. I know politics is not allowed on the forum, this is just a statement of facts.
    Carbine, 300CALMAN and Russian 22. like this.

more of cindys work i presume
    veitnamcam, timattalon, MB and 1 others like this.

You can expect to see this more and more threw out the country.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Supposedly SCA1 is under full closure to protect scallop stocks. Only, it's not a full closure. If you read the policy document rather than the press release, it states that Commercial and Recreational Allowance have been reduced to zero, whereas the Customary Allowance undergoes no change at 7.5 tonnes per year. A lot of pissed off people up here. I know politics is not allowed on the forum, this is just a statement of facts.
    I see you are associated with/a supporter of Lega sea? Where are they at in terms of raising this in the context of sustainability?

MB
    Legasea seem to be in favour of the closure (as I am), but no comment from them on the Customary Allowance. I am going to email them now and will post up the response.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You can expect to see this more and more threw out the country.
    In the last year, we have lost our only decent trout fishery in the whole of Northland because of unsubstantiated Iwi concerns about the environmental impact of trout; deer have finally been eradicated in Northland and now this. Just to be clear, I'm in support of the scallop fishery closing for everybody. If it continues, a move south (or maybe 2000km north) is on the cards.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I was reading an article just the other day about a rahui being in place on Northland scallops (can't remember what specific areas), iwi were complaining about the commercial guys not observing it and going hard out.
    If the kaitiaki (sp?) don't issue permits, there will be no customary take, no matter what the allowance is.

This was the article https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/03/28/r...-on-the-cards/
    Last edited by Cigar; 04-04-2022 at 01:34 PM.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    , there will be no customary take, no matter what the allowance is.
    So what's the harm in making it a full closure or is someone worried about the appearance of co-governance? On a practical level, a full closure would make enforcement simpler for the fisheries officers who have to deal with the arseholes that write themselves "customary permits".
    veitnamcam, Pengy and Russian 22. like this.

David parker also upped the scallop quota despite every one having concerns. With the attitudes towards sustainability displayed up north i wouldn't be surprised if a small group rape and pillage whilst everyone else stays at home.

MB
    One response from Legasea as follows:

Customary right don’t have any value if there are no fish to harvest and most of the issuers of permits understand this. If a Rahui is used as a temporary closure then that will also be respected. Given that in society there are always people who try to circumvent the rules, I am guessing that there will be those that disregard and disrespect what is trying to be achieved which is abundance so we can all have a reasonable feed.

...and another from someone else saying that the didn't know the Customary Allowance at 7.5 tonnes in Northland was going to be continued and they would look in to it further.

The customary system pre dates the current system

just like the Land ownership model

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    So what's the harm in making it a full closure or is someone worried about the appearance of co-governance? On a practical level, a full closure would make enforcement simpler for the fisheries officers who have to deal with the arseholes that write themselves "customary permits".
    the maori take will either be done or not done based on their deciding practices
    they dont get decided by gummint or fisheries unless its done in partnership with the locals

it basically says can take, not will take. whether or not it is exercised is totally up to the system governing

if you are against permits thats another yarn (I have problems with it too mainly the undersize bieng ok) but in large this isnt a for profit system and is going into the bellies of the people in the area

reducing commercial to increase recreational catch would be something im behind but that will never happen

reducing recreational and keeping commercial where it is makes me sick

the customary system is set up so that you dont have to be maori to use it if you are that put out by the resting of the area, go apply for a permit
    im guessing that permits wont be issued for those area during its closure as the people issuing the permits want abundance too
    Russian 22. likes this.

gmm
    I have wanted to see a ban in the Whangarei Harbour for some time now as the beds are in decline.
    Would have been great to see a total closure as this allows the best recovery option.
    I spoke to a local kaitiaki who fully supported the ban and was committed to not issuing any customary permits during the ban, however pointed out that there were 172 people who were allowed to issue permits for the take of scallops in the Whangarei Harbour.
    Like you MB I read every news publication but had to go to the Government policy document to see the the 7.5 tone customary take still existed.
    This will be a good thing if everyone respects it, which I'm sure most will.

MB
    One of my mates with vague connections got involved with a customary permit. 400 scallops per day. Not sure of the size limit, but it wasn't 100mm. He said the floor of his tinny was completely covered in scallops. I hope the people that are reportedly most concerned about the fishery do their part.

Quote Originally Posted by gmm View Post
    I have wanted to see a ban in the Whangarei Harbour for some time now as the beds are in decline.
    Would have been great to see a total closure as this allows the best recovery option.
    I spoke to a local kaitiaki who fully supported the ban and was committed to not issuing any customary permits during the ban, however pointed out that there were 172 people who were allowed to issue permits for the take of scallops in the Whangarei Harbour.
    Like you MB I read every news publication but had to go to the Government policy document to see the the 7.5 tone customary take still existed.
    This will be a good thing if everyone respects it, which I'm sure most will.
    What ever happened to 1 person that can issue permits
    It must be a free for all