Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 2 Post By Trout
  • 4 Post By bomber
  • 2 Post By Tertle
  • 1 Post By Mr300WSM
  • 1 Post By Tertle
  • 1 Post By Tertle

Thread: Older newbie needing direction

Older newbie needing direction

Hey team,

Whilst I’ve the absolute basic idea of fishing, own a fly rod and gear, some of it 40 years old! I started young, but procrastinated longer nearly owww so nearly 50 so thought I should start getting A into G, Even Have light spinning rods for thrashing at small streams and frighten everything!

I would like to get into Salomon fishing but I am truely bereft of any idea in this space, I’ve got a bit of time before I’m fit to go back to work due to some surgery and wanted to use it wisely. Like the idea of fishing as hill climbing may be out for a while, really like the idea of learning how to catch salmon!

If anyone has some time to go over what I need to get and what is appropriate to local areas I would greatly appreciate it, I’m not even sure if shore casting or rivers? Basically steer me in the right direction!

I’m not after secret spots at all as I’m more than prepared after getting trainer wheels on to go and learn myself, owww and I’m happy to help support your favourite amber fluid addiction

Cheers

salamon fishing?
    you want to go fishing french skis?.......
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks, guessed I may have missed the opportunity this season but now may be the opportunity to pick up on gear etc under the watchful eye of someone who knows what they are doing, because my next question was so I can get a casting rod suitable for both salmon and trout? Lol

Join the Salmon Anglers Association in Christchurch.The Waimak your nearest river,January,February,March your best months.First and last hour of day light yr best chance for river fishing.Tight Lines.
    Tertle and Moa Hunter like this.

Best place for Salmon this time of year is Twizel canals....
    Softbait with lightweight spinning gear.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Well acquired an older but pristine condition Berkley Gorilla Stick and a Swedish made ambassaduer 6500-C3 in immaculate condition, had it all checked out, grabbed a winter season license and down to the Waimakariri, first cast...... 3 meters, second cast......20mins sorting massive birds nest, next 3 or so hours casting away nicely, went looking for a few know local locations but had never been to beforeand had a great time!

yip the canals are a good bet.....salmon around the 2-4lb mark are good eating and plenty of trout up there too. it can be all TOO easy somedays,and plurry hard fishing on others.

KW1
    Theres a few good spots on the waimak during salmon season. I'll tell you a good spot to check out during the season. Kaiapoi river between Charles street and where the Cam river goes in. I used to live 200 meters from there and i would talk to an old guy who was always there fishing . "How many you caught this season old mate?" " Oh ,Only nineteen " I prefered to chase the kahawai at the mouth.

Pretty much canals at this time of year is your only chance of salmon. Wait till September have a go at some searun trout for a couple of months around the motorway bridges at the waimak. Then when the weather warms up smash some kahawai down the mouth on light trout gear. Then January, February and March try for a salmon. But be careful kahawai is really addictive when they are there so u might not want to try for a salmon.
    Micky Duck likes this.

This stage probably safer if I use this time to learn how to cast in straight lines as I’ve seen the photos of the river mouth and I know I’m going to piss people of with some wayward casts! Will also work out places to go fish, but I’ve some leave that I have to use so I may just well go on a wee adventure and visit these canals I’ve heard so much about!!
    Micky Duck likes this.

There’s plenty of room down the mouth. Don’t let other people put you off it’s everyone’s river, mackintoshes is a good spot go down there for a look plenty of room and rocks to sit on so you don’t have to stand the whole time

Quote Originally Posted by Mr300WSM View Post
    There’s plenty of room down the mouth. Don’t let other people put you off it’s everyone’s river, mackintoshes is a good spot go down there for a look plenty of room and rocks to sit on so you don’t have to stand the whole time
    That’s exactly where I was this morning in the rain for a couple of hours before work, practicing away, god forbid something took the lure! I’m not ready for that carry on just yet!
    Micky Duck likes this.