Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By Shamus_
  • 2 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By chainsaw
  • 2 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 1 Post By Black Rabbit
  • 2 Post By Gibo

Thread: Rod repair

Rod repair

Has anyone fixed the butt section of a hollow graphite rod? Mate sat on mine while it was in the rod holder to stop himself falling out of the boat.

So far I have exposed the hollow core. Plan was to glue powder / epoxy some sort of rod in place but if others have done this I may be off track.

Any ideas?

Gibo I have fixed a few broken rod tips by epoxying in a section of suitable sized carbon/graphite pinched from another broken rod but this is on trout rods not big boat rods so might not be relevant?
    Gibo likes this.

If you have a piece of material to sleeve inside it epoxy will be fine.
    Where abouts is it actually broken? What's the id of the blank?
    Moa Hunter and MB like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    If you have a piece of material to sleeve inside it epoxy will be fine.
    Where abouts is it actually broken? What's the id of the blank?
    Half way through butt section. No idea of blank id. Yeah I reckon epoxy with glue powder and some sort of sleeve or rod will be all good. Trying to keep weight down too

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    Gibo I have fixed a few broken rod tips by epoxying in a section of suitable sized carbon/graphite pinched from another broken rod but this is on trout rods not big boat rods so might not be relevant?
    Its the butt also not the tip, cheers though

you could if really worried about its continued strength slip the top section inside the lower section and expoxy it all up tighter than a tight thing...I did this many years back with fibreglass fly rod that met car door..worked fine for many many years
    but if you can clean up both sides and slip insert of some sort internally in both,you should be fine...many heaps expoxy for strength...looking at your fine lures you will have zero trouble doing this....
    Gibo and sore head stoat like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Have you checked your mates butt for the other half of broken section ??
    veitnamcam, rugerman, Gibo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Have you checked your mates butt for the other half of broken section ??
    Ha ha! Nah its all still in one piece, the EVA grip is holding it all together still, it got bent not snapped so no doubt some shit still holding on under that too
    chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.

If its bent but still hanging together it should be fine to fit another piece of graphite up the inside. It pays to try and match the taper of the rod as close as you can. I've got plenty of spare bits of rod blanks here and may have something that will fit. Measure the outside diameter of the rod above the butt, at 2 points, maybe 300 - 400mm apart. Then make a bit of an educated guess of the wall thickness of the blank. The piece to be fitted inside the rod needs to be sanded to get rid of all the "finish coatings" and give the epoxy something to bind to. If you can put up those measurements and I have something to match, happy to send it to you so you can get your rod back working.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

No experience of fixing the butt section, but fixed tip section of my rod recently. Thinking the approach should be same, wrap it up with proper lines and using epoxy glue, leave it for a day....
    Gibo likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600#2 View Post
    If its bent but still hanging together it should be fine to fit another piece of graphite up the inside. It pays to try and match the taper of the rod as close as you can. I've got plenty of spare bits of rod blanks here and may have something that will fit. Measure the outside diameter of the rod above the butt, at 2 points, maybe 300 - 400mm apart. Then make a bit of an educated guess of the wall thickness of the blank. The piece to be fitted inside the rod needs to be sanded to get rid of all the "finish coatings" and give the epoxy something to bind to. If you can put up those measurements and I have something to match, happy to send it to you so you can get your rod back working.
    All good thanks mate, Shearer offered the same but I have a plan
    Micky Duck and Husky1600#2 like this.

Banned
    It is going to be difficult to exactly match the sleeving section and not leave a gap or worse create a tight bulge and fulcrum imo. because of that I would not use epoxy, I would use Gorrilla grip and a just a light interference fit with the internal sleeve and let the GG fill and support the break and voids. It will also give a soft cushion to the join. Even ordinary expanding foam would work well