Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Surf casting rig

Made up a pulley rig tonight just for something different to have a go with next time I head out now I just need to get my dirty hands on some imp clips to attach to the BOS
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Went for a fish up the coast this evening ,was a guy putting a Sea horse out where I was going to fish so plan B
    carried on along the beach 100m & tucked into the corner by the blow-whole.

Not a bad spot either but a little bit of fowl that cost me a couple of sets of gear

Looking North towards Whangamata

Mayor island / Tuhua

Looking behind & up towards the Whiritoa gully

Couple of nibbles just before dark that I guessed was probably small Kahawai (5.45)then it went dead again.
    Got a better hit about 6.15 & thinking bait was gone hauled rod out of holder for re-bait.Only to get another hit & this time it hooked up.Good fish & a good scrap to follow ,didn't know what I had felt like a snapper but winter there ain't many of them round inshore.
    10 minutes pretty sure had it close to the beach ,flicked on the light .Yep in the shore wash ,next wave its on the dry .Light off again not wanting to panic what ever it was.Hauled on the rod as wave came up ,there it was laying on the sand .Light on again , nice snapper. Hung on for another 1 1/2 hrs but no more bites ,not a bad result though.Thought maybe a couple of Kahawai for the smoker but snapper is OK too.

A little over 5 lbs nice fish to get in surf this time of year.
    Last edited by Chris; 21-07-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    Gun control means using both hands

Good one Chris
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Nice reddie there, I use Alvey reels for distance & skull dragging fish, if they are of a larger variety then it's a Penn Spinfisher 850 or ABU Ambassador 10000CL 2 speed.
    The tubes is right near my onsite van at Currarong Jervis Bay, so if you're keen for LBG you will need a quality overhead for livebaiting for Yellowfin, Kingies & Marlin you don't always need a boat to gamefish in oz ! But the boat helps so I bought one
    Heaps of Salmon & blurters off the beach on worms ATM But would love a reddie run like you guys get.

The spring snapper just starting to come in Waza ,early this year but I ain't complaining .Be nice to have the LBG fishing you guys get over there .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The spring snapper just starting to come in Waza ,early this year but I ain't complaining .Be nice to have the LBG fishing you guys get over there .
    2lb line on some kahawai is a good fight
    VIVA LA HOWA

Chris I can drop you off at Mayor over summer to have a crack at a big Black on your surfcaster!!!

Wouldn't mind having a crack at some of those big kelpie snapper ,thats deep water over there .
    South east bay is a nice anchorage . Theres deer & pigs on Tuhua I believe.

Wouldn't mind having a crack at some of those big kelpie snapper ,thats deep water over there .
    South east bay is a nice anchorage . Theres deer & pigs on Tuhua I believe.
    Yip sure is some good Snapper out there. That crater bay area is where there are at
    Never heard of deer but sure theres pigs.

I reckon the NZ snapper run will be much more reliable than our marlin & yellowfin season. The Kingies are reliable, hoodlums you can't stop all year round !

SHOCKED...!!!!!!!!

This came as a shock to me....this particular scarborough fishing reel used to belong to me.
    I changed the location of the handles as the screws had been yanked out during a battle with a rockcod.
    Where the one handle is placed,the wood had cracked and I used superglue to glue it twice in two different places
    under the handle.
    The old holes I filled up with the type of putty which gets two parts mixed which later hardens.
    It was in Durban South Africa....Can you tell me where it is at the moment?......

SHOCKED...!!!!!!!!

I was quite shocked when I saw the picture of the scarborough reel in the picture.
    This particular reel belonged to me many years ago.
    I changed the location of the handles as they were yanked out during a struggle with a rockcod.
    Under the one handle there are two cracks which I had rejoined with super-glue.
    Where the handles used to be....I filled the holes with a two type putty which hardened.
    Also,the centre-piece under the flat screw there is a rollerbearing...there used to be a concave brass plate
    so that saltwater would not enter.
    All I want to know if it is in Durban or somewhere else......THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Chris nice bunch of fish..are they from off the beach

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I was quite shocked when I saw the picture of the scarborough reel in the picture.

This particular reel belonged to me many years ago.

I changed the location of the handles as they were yanked out during a struggle with a rockcod.

Under the one handle there are two cracks which I had rejoined with super-glue.

Where the handles used to be....I filled the holes with a two type putty which hardened.

Also,the centre-piece under the flat screw there is a rollerbearing...there used to be a concave brass plate

so that saltwater would not enter.

All I want to know if it is in Durban or somewhere else......THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Dimitri

Sorry mate can't help therr, was just a pic i pulled off google images!
    If you can find it you may be able ro find the website and trace it,
    You better clarify what a rock cod is as here it is a tiny pest fish that steal your bait! Haha!
    Was that reel a Keith Palmer? He made some of the best balanced scarboroughs i have ever used.

Good luck, would be great to find it!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

sturg4
    Yes the snapper are early this side of the Peninsula this year as well. Some good fishing off the rock outside my place. When High tide corresponds with evening is always good fishing and with an easterly to boot you cant go wrong.

Set the net on high last night and picked it up this morning on high. 4 snapper and more than 35 good flounder. It never rains but it pours had to return many of them to stay within the 20 fin fish limit. No photos Wife is away for a few days with camera.