Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Whitebaiting best places to go

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    quite a tidy knot might be a improvement on the overhand knot
    Just torque it up a bit and dont snip the tag too short straight away. Once its pulled up its all good

Thanks for the tip on the fig 8 knot for ledger loops gibo I generally pre tie my ledger traces at home so I can use the better loop knots that tend to be fiddly to tie when the heat is on but will give that fig 8 one a bit of a whirl as I generally go for the knots while on the beach that I can tie the best and quickest and one of them is the overhand for quick ledger loops after getting a bust off (hell I can't even tie a palomar knot lol and people swear by that one) heaviest trace line I use and it is only when I fish with a B.O.S is 40 & 60 pound if using ball sinker when fishing areas with no strong currents then I use a 20 pound trace, but in surf it is always the B.O.S and ledger as my go to set up only because I can get a bit more distance while casting plus I can change my hook sizes without messing about. Also starting to think about researching on making pulley rigs for surfcasting but probably too much pissing around to make.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Waihi sounds good you can drop some in on yr way home!
    It would be a bloody good excuse to come and meet ya and maybe have a beer

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Chain knot, and while we are there, a PR knot for the leader to braid

those whitebait pull like kinges

only if you are using cotton for a line and little nymph hooks lol

White bait and beer mmmmmmmmmmmm
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the fig 8 knot for ledger loops gibo I generally pre tie my ledger traces at home so I can use the better loop knots that tend to be fiddly to tie when the heat is on but will give that fig 8 one a bit of a whirl as I generally go for the knots while on the beach that I can tie the best and quickest and one of them is the overhand for quick ledger loops after getting a bust off (hell I can't even tie a palomar knot lol and people swear by that one) heaviest trace line I use and it is only when I fish with a B.O.S is 40 & 60 pound if using ball sinker when fishing areas with no strong currents then I use a 20 pound trace, but in surf it is always the B.O.S and ledger as my go to set up only because I can get a bit more distance while casting plus I can change my hook sizes without messing about. Also starting to think about researching on making pulley rigs for surfcasting but probably too much pissing around to make.
    Figure 8 takes about 3 seconds to tie mate

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackel View Post
    Chain knot, and while we are there, a PR knot for the leader to braid

those whitebait pull like kinges
    I used to use the PR for my jigging rig.......got sick of using a bobbin so have started using the FG knot. Its quick and easy and just as tough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    White bait and beer mmmmmmmmmmmm
    We will see what happens Maca just waiting to hear back about a couple of jobs I have been shortlisted for (crossing fingers) if I get one of em things will roll along to my plans of actually heading away to mokau for an entire weekend.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Figure 8 knots for my Snappa dropper rigs, Double Uni for the joining of braid to mono. Improved cinch knot for the tying of hooks to a single strand of mono i.e Stray lining and the other end of the Blood Knot, and blood knots with a long tag for my droppers on trout jigging gear. The beauty of the blood Knot for trout fishing is that the dropper is right angles to the main line and it still retains reasonable strength. As I use fluro carbon for my leaders, it's damn invisible to the Fish. Good Luck on the Job Front Hunter308

All this new knowledge about knots ,might have to head out the coast for a fish in the morning .
    Gun control means using both hands

And my favourite for light braid to mono ( softbait style rig) the Albright.
    Super fast to tie and strong enough for anything the small gear can stick to.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  40.4 KB

All this new knowledge about knots ,might have to head out the coast for a fish in the morning .
    Whats the land base fishing like up your way Chris???
    More rock fishing rather than surfcasting as I gave away my surfcaster years ago.
    Married into a boat filled family so wasn't getting any use.
    Would be keen to head up one day if your keen.

Surf casting was a non-event this morning ,bit too rough but then the thunder n lightening started.
    Given up on rock fishing seem to do better off the sand ,snapper any way .
    Gun control means using both hands

Surf casting was a non-event this morning ,bit too rough but then the thunder n lightening started.
    Given up on rock fishing seem to do better off the sand ,snapper any way .
    Sweet as.