Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Cascade Hut, Kaimanawas

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    When walking in next time walk up to the high point and then take the ridge which goes over towards the kaipo valley, halfway along the ridge is an established campsite.

Good on you for walking out early as I have bumped into deer on the track even shooting a nice 6 point stag some years back. It's a bit of a walk into the hut but as you've seen there's some awesome country in there.

It's a shame "Stanfeild Whare" no longer exists but the river reclaimed it.

@Friwi... are you sure you saw trout in the Kaipo as there's a 50 metre waterfall some distance down river where trout could never get up past it!
    I Stayed in the Tauranga/Taupo hut with family and Helisika said no trout that high up... well I saw a couple of good size trout in there between the Cascade hut and Tauranga/Taupo hut...

When walking in next time walk up to the high point and then take the ridge which goes over towards the kaipo valley, halfway along the ridge is an established campsite.

Good on you for walking out early as I have bumped into deer on the track even shooting a nice 6 point stag some years back. It's a bit of a walk into the hut but as you've seen there's some awesome country in there.

@Friwi... are you sure you saw trout in the Kaipo as there's a 50 metre waterfall some distance down river where trout could never get up past it!
    yeh this ridge/saddle place is a good spot- critters all over the place when I was there 4 years ago

Ned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sika stag View Post
    I Stayed in the Tauranga/Taupo hut with family and Helisika said no trout that high up... well I saw a couple of good size trout in there between the Cascade hut and Tauranga/Taupo hut...
    There's no way any trout would have swum up that waterfall. Somebody must have transferred a few up there. Or maybe some shags have been doing a bit of catch and release.
    Sika stag likes this.

The trout was where I m marked the spot on the picture

Name:  EC77950A-F051-4608-81C3-D9EABCB304E2.jpeg
Views: 268
Size:  112.3 KB

Yer the camp site along the ridge is on my list for when it warms up a bit.

The guy ahead of me on the track reckons he saw 4 on the way in and there was plenty of sign on the climb up on the way in.

Banned
    Bảng giá Account Wechat - O789225888 Thanks. up tốp cho bạn nÃ*y

https://www.facebook.com/100088743884080